034 | SMOKE IN THE WATER

( smoke in the water — 2WEI )

MANHATTAN, NEW YORK

THE GALA | PART 2

______________________________

                                   THE SECOND THAT GUNSHOT WENT OFF, Aspen knew she should've known better. Havoc immediately uprose as the guests of the event fled the building like a crimescene, security guards helping to assist clear out the venue.

"Told you," Aspen whispered a grunt into Stiles' ear, "You frickin' jinxed it!"

Aspen picked herself up to her feet, lending Stiles a hand to help him up too. They both panicked but tried to say calm and collected as everyone screamed and fled. Aspen immediately scanned her glance around the room to look out for both Kira and Josephine.

Another gunshot went off— this time it was into another one of the many chandeliers, the second one now knocking off it's hinges and crashing to the ground. Luckily everyone was fleeing to the exits now in havoc, so no one was crushed by the crash of it.

"We shouldn't have come," Aspen murmured under her breath to Stiles who was stood beside her, starting to reach for his handgun underneath his blazer.

"You can't let them dictate your life, Asp." Stiles replied back in a low murmur, "We don't run. We never have."

Aspen then spotted Kira who had spotted the pair and was now rushing over to them with panic in her eyes, knowing what was most likely going on and that this wasn't a random shooting.

"You guys okay? You're not hurt?" Kira said with wide eyes.

"No, we're fine." Aspen nodded, "But we can't get out of here until everyone's safe. The security guards are doing their best to evacuate the venue, but we all know what's going on here. I'm not letting anybody here get hurt because of me."

"You think it's Allison?" Kira asked.

"It's either her or she sent her henchmen." Aspen replied.

Aspen then spotted Jo who was on the other side of the grand hall, and Aspen ran over to her in a hurry, Stiles and Kira following closely behind, figuring it would be best to stick together.

As Aspen ran over to Jo, another gunshot was fired—this time it nearly hit her, but just passed her by as if it was not intended to be aimed at her—but more of a scare tactic. She stumbled backwards in shock at barely missing the bullet, as Stiles caught her to maintain her balance.

"Jo!" Aspen yelled, catching the brunette's attention as the Steel woman turned around with wide eyes.

"Asp— what's going on?" Jo said in a panic, "Is this what I think it is?"