The Nixie

"Like faeries really exist!" I said to Nick, my only friend.

"They do! I'm sure they do! It even says in this book!" said Nick.

I sighed and slumped down on his bed. I looked at Nick who was holding his book.

"It's a fictional book!" I said.

Nick shook his head.

"No, Laurie... I-I'm sure!" said Nick.

"Really, Nick? So.. Why were you stuttering? Hmm?" I asked.

"Ok. You got me. I'm not fully sure." said Nick.

I smiled and looked at Nick's blushed face again.

Yes... He's a friend. But we argue nearly ALL the time, so our friendship is in danger. However, little danger. I want to be his friend. He is my only friend!

I patted the spot next to me on his bed and watched as Nick came over and sat down next to me.

"You're too old for this kiddie stuff now." I said, clutching his shoulder.

"It's not 'kiddie stuff'!" shouted Nick, jumping up.

"Well, I've tried." I mumbled under my breath.

I jumped up, waved to Nick and walked out of his room.

...

I walked into the sitting room to see Dad and Sophie watching television. I sat down on the couch wondering why Dad and Sophie didn't even notice me.

"Dad," I said. "Are faeries real?"

Dad jerked his head towards me.

"Sweetie... Don't believe all that stuff Nick tells you, OK?" said Dad.

"Ok. But he did say it was real, so I was wondering..." I said.

"It's not real. Anyway, tomorrow Sophie's going to Brandon's house and I have to go on a business trip. So do you mind if I ask you to stay at Nick's house for the night?" asked Dad.

I shook my head and stared at Sophie with a questioning look. She had to stay over at her boyfriend's house? Now tomorrow night I have to stay over at Nick's house, listening to him blabbering all about faeries!

"So, Dad, shall I go tell Nick now?" I asked.

"Yeah. Sure, go on." said Dad.