Imagine That

Chapter 1 {Can't Breath}

I remember it had been raining, sliding open my cracked bedroom window, and looking out at the cloudy over cast skies. A little rain never hurt anybody, nor would it stop me from making my great escape. . .

I brought out my rope ladder and cast it out the side of the house, hooking the ends under the legs of my desk chair.

I grabbed my bag filled with the necessities and pulled on my yellow converse. Before climbing out my window I took a quick glance back at my room. I was going to miss this place, for however long I’d be away. I doubt long, because I’d always end up being dragged back against my own will.

I breathed in the glorious scent of my freedom, mixed with the gut tightening sense of adrenaline. My feet landed with a soft thud, the grass cushioning my drop. The sun had already made it’s decent behind the mountains far off west. I looked back at the house. The lights were still glowing through all the visible windows, lighting the patches of darkness in the back yard.

I could see my aunt cleaning up broken dishes from the argument before in the kitchen. Before the regret could even start to sink in, I turned my back and started running . . . and I was gone again.

I had made it around the corner of the gas station a few blocks from my aunt’s house, just off the  edge of the thick, shaded forest.

His familiar, sleek navy blue motorcycle came into view. For some reason seeing that piece of metal cast all the dark shadows out of my thoughts. Knowing that he was here, that he loved me, made all my recent miseries fade into the night, for even jsut a moment.

“Terry?” His whisper sounded alarmed, and full of surprise.

I smiled the best I could, even though it hadn’t reached my eyes. “I’m sorry; I just really needed to get out of there. . .” My voice started cracking, and my throat began to burn.

He opened his arms for me, “Come here,” He demanded gently, and I couldn’t help the magnetic pull as my feet made its way desperately to close the empty space between us.

He held me there in his arms, and let me cry when the reality of it all came crashing back like a tidal wave, killing every happy thought and feeling. I became numb.

“Hey, hey, listen to me. Smile for me. I’m here, I’m here. . .” he whispered and rocked me gently back and forth, rubbing my back soothingly, “Let’s get out of here, I have something I want to show you,” he smiled, whipping the stray tears away.

And I’d follow him until the ends of the earth if he’d give me the chance...