Chapter II

The festival was everything they said it would be, it started at sunset. The lanterns were lit, and torches that burned incense of some kind wafted their scent heavily in the air. But it was a strange kind of scent, it created a sense of comfort that made the methodical music and dances that were going on everywhere in the village even more serene.

Women and men alike danced in slow circles, arms stretched outward toward the stars above as all voices hung together in the dark night, songs that praised the spirits and Eywa being sung from the hearts of the Metkayina people.

Lo'ak and Tsireya were among them, at least that is what Kiri realized when she finally tuned back into reality and took in the sound of the music and singing around her. She was sitting in front of one of the bonfires that some of the men had set up earlier in the day, many of the children were running in between where she was and their own little spot on the beach, Tuk being among a few of them as she pushed her legs to run faster than her peers.

Lo'ak and Tsireya were dancing with the other couples around them, the two laughing as they enjoyed the night, the festival was lively, truly living up to its purpose of celebrating life. Though she could not bring herself to dance or sing, she was just waiting for Aonung to come and tell her it was safe to leave.

The last she checked, her parents were with Tonowari and Ronal, and the rest of the older adults. While the younger adults and teenagers were left closer to the beach with a few more bonfires. Though she knew that Aonung had been called to sit with the older adults and some of the council, he had not said what they wanted, he just said to wait there until he came back.

But all she knew was that at the moment, time was going by too slowly. She wanted to enjoy the festival; she truly did want to join her siblings in the fun. But all she could hear; all she could focus on was the faint pounding in the back of her mind. It was like a drum. No, a heartbeat.

But it was not Eywa's.

Eywa's heartbeat was mighty, like the sounds of the drums amidst the war. Her heartbeat could silence all around her. It was all-consuming and yet at the same time, gentle and reassuring. Holding a sense of security within its mighty melody.

No, this sound, this heartbeat, was softer. It was gentle, it was a soft beating like the rain against the heavy leaves in the forest. It reminded her of the strong storms that she used to stay up late to listen to. To watch as the rain soaked into the ground, and it reminded her of the one who used to stay up with her, the one who would vocalize in tune with the gentle beating of the rain, singing the steady song the rain created that only they seemed to be able to hear.

She needed to find her answers.

Where was Ao'nung?

"Kiri," The girl snapped her head in the direction of the voice, standing immediately once she saw Ao'nung walking over to her. Without hesitation or care of who could notice or be watching, she strode forward to meet him in the middle and grabbed him by the arm, dragging him over to the docks, past the dancing and singing Metkayinas and the children.

"Hey! Calm down!" Ao'nung ordered as he grabbed Kiri's shoulder and forced the girl still, though the man's hand was slapped away as she called for an Ilu.

"We need to get to the tree," Kiri stated coldly while Aonung sighed and called for his skimwing.

"I know, but you can't just act like that. People will notice, and we will be caught. You need to learn to be discrete." Ao'nung chastised, though he was only met with a scoff in response.

Kiri dove into the water and mounted her Ilu, Ao'nung doing the same with his skimwing as they darted to the tree, the creatures jumping over the heavy waves that crashed into them as they finally made it to the cove of the ancestors.