𝟸𝟷. ᴛʜᴇ ɪɴᴄᴏᴍᴘᴇᴛᴇɴᴛ ᴘᴜʙʟɪᴄɪsᴛ

TW: panic attack

TW: panic attack

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

It was 8 in the morning, Jordyn was up and ready to master the day. This day was the most important to her yet.

 A second chance to get her dream job in Davenport Industries. 

Therefore, she had made sure to look the part – dressing more formally than usual, putting on makeup to hide her lack of sleep and taming her hair in a more professional bun.

Her nerves rose with every passing second. She tapped her steering wheel to calm herself down. But as time felt to be running away, she groaned. 

How was this man running a company if he could never be on time?

Slamming her car door shut, she made her way to the Davenport household. She burst inside, ready to scold the inventor, yet all she saw upon entering was Chase. He sat at the table, eating breakfast and reading a book. His gaze lifted, surprised she was over already.

"Don't waste my time. Tell me where's Mr. Davenport? We're gonna be late." She shut him down before he could even formulate a question.

Chase's frown dissipated and morphed into a look of recognition. "Ohh, today's the day then? No idea where he is but you should stop worrying."

"Easy for you to say," she sighed, activating Eddy to get Donald for her.

Chase wiped his hands clean and put his book to the side. "Joe, you'll do great. You've gone through the presentation 34 times. I've witnessed 13 of them. I liked it fairly well."

"Fairly well? Dios mío, I should have added another slide on the processing of-"

"I'm here," Donald announced as he hurried inside the room.

Joe whirled around and felt relief wash over her. At least she didn't have to go through this without any support by her side. "Finally!"

"Sorry, sorry. I can't find my car keys anywhere. Let me just-"

"No time! I'm driving," she said and grabbed his arm to drag him outside.

Chase chuckled at them, especially Mr. Davenport's frightened expression. "Good luck!" He yelled as the door shut close.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

The presentation went well. Jordyn was confident of her success – she had the position in her bag. She must have made a good impression by demonstrating that she does not give up easily, that she is determined, and that she can accept criticism and use it to better her work.

All qualities the board must love to see in a future employee.

On their journey back, Donald's reaction to her excitement were the only thing out of place. As she rambled on about how well she pulled it all off, he stayed silent and kept his gaze on his phone. She shrugged it off, not wanting to start another fight because of the position.