8. The Earl is getting softer?

"So you're planning to imprison this woman here?" Kit asked in disbelief when they reached his condominium. He pointed to the woman who was lying on his bed.

Keyller shook his head.

"Imprison is not the right term, Marzonia. I just brought her here temporarily while I'm confused about what to do with her."

"Why would you of all people, Hayes? You can just leave her in a safe place if you're really worried."

"I know. But..." Keyller heaved a deep sigh. Didn't know how to explain to Kit.

"But your conscience wouldn't let you leave her anywhere, is that it? Does this young lady awaken your protective instinct?" Kit asked directly. His eyebrows lifted while staring intently at Keyller's face.

Keyller just shrugged his shoulders. He didn't want to admit anything to Kit. He was confused about what he was doing. Besides, the woman was already there, lying in his bed and he just couldn't throw her out. It's too late to do that.

His condo unit only had one bedroom because he was not expecting anyone to visit him. That's why he didn't bother to provide a guestroom. And because the woman was occupying his bed, he will just sleep on the couch tonight. It has not been a problem for him since he got used to it.

There was actually a spare room in his condo. Two, as a matter of fact. One, he converted it into a training room where he put all his weapons; knives, swords, and his gun collection. There's also a space in that room where he can practice his firing skills. The remaining portion was left for his training dummy, which he used for sharpening his sword skill. The other room was his gym. When he is frustrated, he will let off his steam in his training room, but when he is feeling lonely while missing his family, he will go to the gym and do some exercise. The things he and his family did together when they were still alive.

The two rooms were all soundproof and the glass wall was also bulletproof. This was designed to prevent his enemies from shooting him while he was unguarded.

Keyller closed the room door and invited Kit to go downstairs, who willingly followed, leaving the woman inside so no one could disturb her rest.

"What do you want me to do then?" Kit followed behind him as they walked down the flight of stairs.

He led the attorney to his dining room before giving him a can of beer that had been left there for some time. He didn't have groceries, only some frozen goods, and he had a note in his mind to go shopping once the young woman was settled.

"Who is she?" Kit asked as he took a sip of his beer.

Keyller unlikely rolled his eyes for the third time. It was also the third time that Marzonia asked him who that young woman was. "I don't know the name of that girl."

Although the woman was not the standard height, she had the perfect curves that could make any man drool. She sure was beautiful and with her firm breast that matched perfectly with her curvy waist, Keyller was sure she could tempt any man in this world.

"What the fuck were you thinking, Hayes? You didn't even know the girl's name and yet you brought her here!"

"How many times must you ask, Marzonia? I already told you, she will stay here for the meantime. Nothing to worry about." He opened a can of beer for himself and took a slow sip before putting the can on the countertop, irritated. "I just need you to investigate her. Where she lived, who were her parents just so I can take her back to them."

Kit sighed in defeat as he took another mouthful of beer before turning his head away from him to look up at the staircase. "It's not your nature to be concerned about anything about any woman. You hated the opposite sex to the core, Hayes," Kit stated with conviction. "I'm wondering what it is about that woman that made your standpoint collapse.

"You're exaggerating, Marzonia. No one can melt my anger towards her gender. But I am a rational person. I don't implicate someone who has nothing to do with my family's death. Besides, I just saved her by chance."

"I can't believe I'm hearing you say these things, Hayes." Kit shook his head, unable to believe everything Keyller said. "Did that woman finally awaken the soft spot in your heart?"

The grip on the cold canned beer tightened as Keyller stared at Kit seriously. He couldn't answer Marzonia and he didn't know why. What the hell really was going on in his mind?

"Cat got your tongue, Hayes? Did I hit it right?"

Keyller stayed silent as he took his time sipping his beer. Kit was right. He knows nothing about the woman. Was it her charismatic innocence that captivated him?

"Did you forget the reason why you entered Foedus? Did you forget your hatred towards her kind?"

This time, Keyller's hand that was holding the can of beer slightly trembled. He remembered those women who slaughtered his family. His anger flared like wildfire.

"Of course not. I will never forget that my family was killed by those whores!" Keyller gritted his teeth as he spoke those words with unmatched hatred. His bloodshot eyes glared at Kit and his face was flushed red.

"That is exactly my point. You didn't even know where that woman came from! What if she's just using her innocence to fool you?" Kit helped himself by taking another can of beer from the fridge.

"She couldn't do any harm to me. I won't give her a chance," Keyller answered sternly. He finished his beer and, unlike Kit, he didn't go for another can.

"But you're letting her stay here? She has nothing to do with you. Bring her back where you got her and spare yourself from trouble," Kit pressed further.

"No." Keyller tossed the empty can in the dustbin just beside the fridge and walked to get out of the kitchen. "I am not keeping her for long. I will let her go after I can find her family. I am sure she was one of those victims of an illegal human trafficker."

"Victim of a human trafficker?" Kit shook his head in disbelief. "I can't change your decision, right?" Kit said helplessly. He knew that when Keyller decided on one thing he would make a go for it and no one could bend that decision.

Light footsteps coming down from the staircase stopped the two from talking. The words that Keyller wanted to answer were held in his throat. He looked at the woman whose hands were still bound by cable ties. He wore a grim expression as his gaze didn't leave, wanting to catch the other's eyes.

"Pretty, huh?"

Keyller finally withdrew his gaze from the woman, who was a few steps away from them, and looked at Kit. They were both leaning on the kitchen counter.

"You know that I hate women, you just reminded me of it, and now you're asking me about that?" he asked, baffled. The two of them stood straight side by side as they talked to each other in a low voice.

"Yes. And yet, you're interested in her."

"I am not," he hissed.

Kit Marzonia didn't insist anymore and just stared at their guest while Keyller quickly introduced Kit to her.