Chapter One: Rejection.

"Charlie? We need to talk."
Charlie Brown's girlfriend had called. She'd said they needed to talk.
Perhaps... proposal?
Charlie was a fan of breaking gender norms.
As soon as he arrived, he was greeted by a solemn look on her face. She led him into the living room, and she sat on the couch across from where he was reclined back into a big chair.
"Charlie, we've been dating for at least a year now, and I just..."

"Yes," he blurted out excitedly, "I will marry you!" Her expression only fell into more disappointment.

"Charlie, we should break up."

"What?" No. No. No. No. She was perfect. She ate pencils constantly and was ginger. She was perfect, this... this couldn't end now.

She choked, "it just hasn't been working. We're going into fourth grade now, this... this isn't going to work out, Charlie. I'm sorry." Charlie battled against tears.

 "No, you can't be doing this," he breathed, shaking his head. 

"I don't want this to end either, Charles," she took his hands in hers gently, "But... I'll be honest." Charlie's nonexistent eyebrows raised. 

 "I'm moving away. My dad got a good job all the way in New York, and... it'll just be hard, and I don't think I can do long distance." Charlie let out a shaky, tearful breath. 

 After everything they'd gone through. 

 And she was leaving him. 

 "Please, just-- Just give me one more try, I have to--" 

 "No, Charles.  It's over."