The Beach

Dream walks around an endless, white void. It was a place he came to often. Although it looked plain and boring, the void was constantly shifting and changing, able to be molded to whatever you wanted it to be. Today, Dream wanted it to be a beach.

         He walks towards the water, eventually sitting down near the water. The sand there is wet, and perfect for building. He smiles. The skeleton could make something big, something amazing! Excitedly, he works at making his sand sculpture right away.

        Two hours into Dream's little building session and all he's made is a sad, stupid, pathetic little mound. He tried to make bigger ones, prettier ones, but they all ended up falling apart before the skeleton could finish them. He narrows his eyes at the castle, a deep scowl marring his otherwise soft features. It was so plain. Too plain. Dream hated it. But it was ok. Dream could fix it! He quickly made a flag by piecing a stick into a rather colorful wrapper and placing it into the castle. However, the stick was too strong and it caused the sandcastle to fall apart, and Dream had to start all over again. His fists clenched and he bared his teeth into a scowl.

"... damn. How disappointing."

         He sighs. He thinks for a moment. What could he possibly be doing wrong? Maybe the sand was too wet? He was really close to the water, and when it was that close, the sand started to get too wet to stay together anymore. The deity walked away from the water, sitting down a good 80 feet away from the sand now.

       Dream then starts building again, and this time he was able to build a structure far more stable and compact. The design, however, was still quite simple. A mere sand mound with two cone-like cylinders on top. The deity smiled softly. He made this all himself. He didn't need the help of a selfish ink guardian without a heart, a lazy ketchup loving mortal, or the much edgier version of that mortal. He didn't need the help of his brother either. He was able to build a kingdom, a home, all by himself... even if it was made out of sand. How incredible. He then started to frown deeply, skeletal mouth somehow quivering.

        He was so proud of a stupid sand castle... just because it was the only damn thing he could accomplish by himself. Dream then flinched a little. How pathetic... looks like all of his negative emotions are hurting him. Even that much... Even of himself... And he's in pain. He already  needs help after such a stupid, small, insignificant little thing. Gee, just how useless was Dream? Always needing help, no matter what. Everything would just be easier if he could only feel happy. If everyone just felt happy. Then he wouldn't have to help, or feel so weak all the time. He could be at peace.Really... Why couldn't everyone just feel happy?