0

"I think

"I think...I think I'm going to die today, my love," she mumbled. Her body lay flat on the dewy carpet of green. Her eyes didn't glance at the man next to her but were fixated on the silver pearls that rested against the velvet darkness of the night. Her fingers were tangled with his.

"You feel sad today, Scara. Are you scared?" she asked softly. Scaramouche remained silent. He found glee in expressing resentment with silence, but today his resentment wasn't aimed at [Y/N]. Today it was aimed at her lungs. The lungs that had breathed in too much smoke one day, scarring them. The lungs that continued to defy [Y/N] and her wish to live.

"Don't be scared, you can tell me," she coaxed. Scaramouche didn't reply. [Y/N] filled their awkward silence with a bought of coughs, making the harbinger wince. He held her hand tighter, thinking that if he held onto her tight enough that the stars wouldn't take her away.

"You're not dying," he stated like it was a fact. Yet his confidence couldn't hide that this was all him coping.

"Sacra...you know that I can't promise you anymore of my tomorrows." Scaramouche let go of her hand roughly and sat up. He lowered the tip of his hat, shielding his eyes.

"You're not dying!" His aggression was met with another bought of coughs from [Y/N], followed by a hoarse groan. Scaramouche had a heart encased in stone, but that couldn't shield his soul from bleeding. With each cough and word from [Y/N], a cut formed on his soul. Deep enough for it to bleed, bleed a sanguinary substance that came out in form of saline liquid from his eyes. It stung. And he hated it. "Feeling" was something that he had recently become acquainted with when he had met the mischievous, frolicking, dreamer that now lay beside him. He liked "feeling" but not when it was like this.

"Do you think the stars can hear us?" [Y/N] asked. Scaramouche wiped his soul's blood and scoffed.

"The sky isn't even real, dumbass," he grumbled.

"But what if I became a star in that fake sky? Would you look for me?" Scaramouche chuckled dryly. Taking his hat off, he flopped back onto the grass.

"Fuck yeah. If other stars block you, I'll burn them along with the rest of the sky." [Y/N] laughed. When she did, it didn't sound like she was dying.

"Too far, dude. I was just asking if you would look for me." Scaramouche gave her a playful nudge and scoffed. He brushed his thumb across his face to hide evidence of him "feeling".

"You're taking advantage of my benevolence." The dreamer hummed in response and rolled over to him, giving her access to see his face better.

"A-Are you?"

"No. Shut the fuck up." [Y/N]'s eyes grew wide and a grin spread across her face.

"You're actually crying! I can't believe-" Now her coughing had stopped her from being the playful soul that she was. Her face scrunched with pain. Scaramouche moved closer to her, panic flaring within him. He wrapped his arms around her, like he was trying to stabilise her. [Y/N] embraced him back. They laid there, with their bodies intertwined. Now the fear had begin seeping into [Y/N], dimming her bright attitude.

"I'm scared, my love," she admitted. Scaramouche pulled her closer.

"Then don't go." [Y/N] winced.

"I don't wanna be alone again..." she managed to choke out through the pain in her lungs. Scaramouche's pride was losing the fight against the side of "feeling". So he cried. He didn't scream. Dramatics wouldn't be able to convey the hole that was being drilled into his heart. Denial couldn't save them today. Neither could hope. Scaramouche wasn't one for denial. He was arrogant and ambitious but he wouldn't allow them to stop death.

"Will you look for me?" [Y/N] asked. Scaramouche buried his face into the crook of her neck.

"Of course I will." [Y/N] began feeling more like a corpse than a body as time slipped by them. Time didn't exist to [Y/N]. It always flew by her and she would allow it, but today she wanted it to stop.

"How will you look for me?" she asked.

"I'll search among the stars," he replied.

"How are you going to figure out which one I am?" Scaramouche grinned ruefully.

"I'll just look for the brightest one."