Preface

It was a hot one for a late December day, though the cool breeze was starting to gust as the evening approaches. It was obvious by the ambience and decorations that Christmas was just around the corner. It triggered an excitement in me. I've always loved Christmas. I had a lot of reasons for loving it.

Along the bustling crowd, I waded my way to the train station. Around me were people that were chatting about the day they had. Their faces were morphing to expressions that gave hints on how their days went. My headset was enough to block the noise of everyone, contented to listen to Taylor Swift's songs. I glanced on the screen of my phone and caught a glimpse of the date today. This used to be a special date for me, for us. But grasping the fact that they didn't remember at all, stabbed a pain in my chest.

At the back of my mind, images started to flash. Shadows of three girls walking, holding hands, the sunset behind their backs. Three faces giving the "I-have-a-naughty-idea" look. Their tear-stained faces smiling as they moved on from their failures and misfortunes. Their victorious smirks when they learned something that other people didn't know. And a scene wherein they were almost tumbling, clutching their tummy, as they laughed out loud like there was no tomorrow. Even the sound of those laughters rang in my mind, as well as the harsh insults they gave to each other, but was never offending to them.

And just like that, I felt like my world stopped spinning. Mine did, but the real world didn't. The train came. People around me started to rush. The traffic outside continued to build up. The noise continued to get louder and louder and louder. But I was stuck there, standing in the middle of the crowd. Looking around, there was something I realized; I laughed and made new friends but it wasn't like I had before. There was a big difference. And seeing the world as it is, I suddenly recognized the feeling I had since those wonderful and treasured days. I was feeling lonely...

This world is cruel. It would continue to rotate on its axis 24/7 and revolve around the sun for 365 and ¼ days no matter what, even if you couldn't keep up. I was prepared for it, that's what I thought. Life is vindictive, will give you lessons in the hardest possible way and takes away as much as it gives. And I never saw it coming.

I had envisioned this world, it's the big time "future" back then, but I made the dreaming with them. We saw ourselves graduating, having our own successful careers, and even building our own families, but we saw ourselves together. Our lives were knotted so tightly with each other that we promised to stick together. We were always together. But now, it seemed like I was the only one who imagined it all with them in the picture. Now, it seemed like I am the only one who still care for the so-called "we".

All those laughter, all the funny snide remarks, all those tears, all the moment of pain and struggle and encouraging words, the time we felt like having the time of our lives and enjoying the mere presence of each other. Where were they? I was sure I was there. We were there.

Please be here...