vi. harry potter

July 31st rolled around, and Mairead had to scramble out of bed early to get ready. Usually she would get up last minute, shower, and throw on some sort of comfy outfit. But today, she wanted to make a good impression. She even got up at eight o'clock, then took a long shower. She was thankful she had stocked up on shampoo and body wash from Dylan's, because it would have been a disaster if she ran out the day of the party. She took her time, washing her waves and making sure she had no fuzz on her arms and legs. She stepped out and wrapped the towel around herself, holding it with one hand and brushing her hair with the other.

She grabbed her ratty white robe that she had owned ever since she was seventeen. The sleeves were an inch above her wrists and the robe only went down to her thighs. She tied the strings into a messy bow and grabbed her hair dryer, then took her time to make sure her hair wasn't flat, but not super puffy. It was a hard balance. She made sure her waves fell nicely down her back before she tied half her hair up into a braid and the other half was spilling down her shoulders. She then swiped on some cheap mascara and chapstick, hoping she looked okay for a kid's birthday party.

Her favorite pair of floral bell bottoms were laid out on the bed, along with a green halter top shirt she hadn't had the guts to wear out. She carefully stuck her head through the halter top, making sure her hair was preserved as best she could. Then she tied the straps behind her head with a little difficulty. She walked over to her mirror in a halter top and old white underwear, twisting and turning to make sure the bow on the back of her neck looked okay. She sighed and grabbed the bell bottoms, shimmying into them. She checked herself in the mirror again. She nodded.

"It's a kid's party. All you have to do is make small talk and watch kids blow out candles! Super easy. You've got this, Rey. Just don't be a tool and try not to screw it up." She huffed at herself in the mirror. She decided she'd bring a small handbag with her car keys, wallet, chapstick, and an extra hair tie if her hair got too unruly. She wasn't sure what time Regulus would pick her up, but the clock on her wall said ten forty. She figured she should ask Regulus to stop by Dylan's to get Harry a present. Shopping for a three year old should be easy. But she was already second guessing herself. What if her outfit was too skimpy? What if they kicked her out? She wrapped her arms around herself and walked outside her door, slipping on her pink converse high tops she saved for fancy occasions.

The sun was already warm overhead and the clouds fluffy. It was a perfect day. She walked over to Regulus' house a few yards away and knocked on the door. He answered, and stared at the gorgeous girl in front of him. She wore some super colorful bell bottoms with cartoony flowers and a sage green top that showcased her collarbone and arms.

"You look nice." He said. She smiled nervously and sighed.

"Should we grab a present before leaving? I'm sure Dylan's has some sort of toy he'll like." She leaned against the doorframe, crossing her arms.

"Nah, I've already got something. He loves anything Disney. I'm not quite sure what that entails, but I'm sure you can say it's from you as well." The two left Regulus' cottage, locking the door behind them. They both linked arms. Mairead was internally freaking out. She hadn't apparated in over three years. Hell, she hadn't come across any sort of magic since she was seventeen, and she was almost twenty one!

"Ready?" He asked the shaky woman next to him.

"As I'll ever be. Just get it over with already." She gripped hard onto his forearm and felt the sickening pull in her navel, the dizziness, the instant headache and wanting to vomit. She felt like she was being sucked through the smallest tube and spit out somewhere else. When they plopped down onto hot pavement, Mairead bent over and heaved while Regulus just put a cautionary hand on her shoulder. She held her stomach and sucked in a deep breath.