1 - whatever dude

FRIDAY, APRIL 10 

"NOOO," Jacob sighs. He stands up and clicks on the record button to stop the recording. This take was going so well. And obviously, he had to go and mess it up right in the last chorus. "I still don't get why you're doing the whole signing thing. You know you can just sing it and he'll appreciate it just as much," Ian says uninterested. "No, no I can't," Jacob snaps back irritated.

Jacob had been in Ian's garage for over two hours now. He's been desperately trying to get a perfect take. But until so far he's had no luck. "Whatever dude, I'm gonna get a snack," Ian said as he got up from the couch and left the garage. Jacob took his phone off his improvised camera standard that he'd made of his guitar case and 12 different books that he'd stacked upon each other. As he went to his gallery to delete the video, he saw that he had 3 new text messages from Skylar.

Skylar [19:06]: Hi love.
Skylar [19:06]: Aah that still feels so good to say.
Skylar [19:07]: Anyway, how are you doing? You free this weekend?

He and Skylar have been dating for a couple of months now. In a week it'll be exactly 6 months ago since they agreed to be boyfriends. And Jacob can't just let that day pass unnoticed. So he's planning a surprise for Skylar. And that's exactly the reason why he locked himself in Ian's garage.

He convinced himself it'd be a good idea to sign a song. He wrote an original song for Skyler and since signing was their special thing, he planned on making a video of him signing the lyrics. He is planning on showing it to Skyler next Saturday. But now that he was 9 takes in and still didn't have a semi-good take, he started to doubt if he was even able to make the video.

Jacob opened Skylar's messages and quickly sent a reply.

Jacob [19:23]: hiya! I'm doing fine, how are you? Hope you're having a nice Friday evening!

Jacob lied. (Not about him hoping Skylar has a nice Friday evening though! He really meant that). He lied about being fine. Cause in reality he was annoyed and disappointed in himself because he couldn't seem to get a good take. But Skylar didn't need to know that. Jacob didn't want him to worry about him and he also didn't want to accidentally spoil the surprise.

Jacob [19:24]: I have to work till 15:30 tomorrow, but I'm free the rest of the weekend :)
Jacob [19:24]: Oh wait, I forgot, I have to do something after work
Jacob [19:24]: But I'm free in the evening and on Sunday!

That 'something' Jacob was talking about was actually 'going shopping with Imani so she could help him prepare for next Saturday.' But once again, Skylar didn't need to know about that. At least, not yet.