Chapter 5: The Doctor

As she deliberately opened her eyes, her surroundings slowly became clear

As she deliberately opened her eyes, her surroundings slowly became clear. It was a crisp white room with green curtains covering the windows partially. Surrounding her bed were nurses and a doctor, bustling around and checking her vitals.

"Ms. Yashvi? Can you hear me?" The doctor asks.

"Yes," she whispers. Her voice was raspy due to her dry throat.

"Hello, I am Dr. Meghna. You had fainted in the middle of the road. Do you recall that?"

"A little? I think I was in front of a school when I fainted."

"That is correct Ms. Yashvi. As part of the examination, we have some questions for you. Is that alright?"

"Yes."

The doctor immediately starts asking her questions, recording Yashvi's answers in her notebook.

"Have you ever fainted like this before?"

"No, I haven't."

"Have you experienced any sort of dizzy spells or similar episodes before?"

"Sometimes when I am really busy, I get dizzy for a second. But it goes away instantly."

"What was the last meal you had recently?"

"Um... I had a veggie smoothie this morning."

"What about for dinner last night?"

"I..." Yashvi hesitates. "Since I was tired, I only drank a smoothie..."

Hearing this, Dr. Meghna looks deep into Yashvi's eyes and asks, "What was the last meal you had that wasn't a smoothie?"

"I had a salad for lunch yesterday..."

The doctor inhales deeply to calm herself, before continuing the questions. "During our examination, we found scratches on the back of your throat. Are you willing to explain how that happened?"

"That..." Yashvi hesitates.

"It will help us to treat you," the doctor interrupts. A silent warning was heard in her voice.

"Sometimes, when I eat too much, I force myself to..." A lump forms in Yashvi's throat, preventing her from continuing.

Dr. Meghna sighs disappointingly, understanding the unspoken words. "We have also detected traces of some chemicals in your blood. Are you taking any medications?"

"Just some diet pills to help me lose weight."

"Are these prescribed pills? What is the dosage?"

"They aren't prescribed. I bought them after someone recommended them to me. Before, I used to take one pill each day as it said in the bottle, but it wasn't working so I started taking two pills a day."

Dr.Meghna's eyes blazed in anger. "Let me get this straight. You have been taking unprescribed diet pills in improper quantities while keeping your body from getting the nutrients it needs. When you do happen to eat the necessary amount, you force it out, creating internal scars in your throat. You have been poisoning and starving yourself, as well as creating a risk of throat infection. This is the perfect combination to slowly damage your body! In fact, all those dizzy spells you were feeling was your body's way of asking for help! This is some extremely irresponsible behavior!" At each word, her voice raises, displaying the anger at Yashvi's actions.

However, she recalls that despite any anger and frustration she feels towards her patient, as a doctor she cannot show it to them. Catching herself from saying anything harsh, the doctor takes a breath before continuing softly, "Based on our conversation today, I suspect you have an eating disorder. I am going to recommend a few tests as well as a session with a psychologist to diagnose you properly and provide the proper treatment. If you would like, we can recommend a nutritionist to help you create a healthy diet.

I don't know why you felt like you needed to take such a drastic route to lose weight, but I'm sure you have your own reasons. However, this shortcut is not worth it. If you continue this route, your body will deteriorate. I know you aren't going to immediately change if I advise you, so I am not going to waste my breath. In fact, all the treatment options that I said are just recommendations because I cannot do anything without your consent. But, if you would like to take a step forward and get better, this is the way. If you aren't going to make this effort for yourself, at least think about doing it for your son."

"My son?" Yashvi asks, confused. Since when did she have a son?

 Since when did she have a son?

Hi!

So, what did you think of this passage. Really nervous, so please do drop comments about your opinions.

I know I said this was the last chapter, but I felt like this was a great cliffhanger, so I split the chapter into two. Maybe some already knows who the son is?

Eating disorder is also a type of illness, that can be treated. So please do take of yourself. More than losing weight, being healthy is more important. 

Stay healthy and stay safe!