The Sorting Hat

Harry swallowed. "How exactly do they sort us into houses?" he asked mainly to Ron.

"Some sort of test, I think. Fred said it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking." Ron replied

Alex smirked at Harry's pale face. She only got to know the twins and she already knew that they were the biggest pranksters she knew

Harry's heart gave a horrible jolt. A test? In front of the whole school? But I don't know any magic yet – what on earth would I have to do? He hadn't expected something like this the moment they arrived. He looked around anxiously and saw that everyone else looked terrified too, Of course except Alex who had her signature smirk on her face looking like she knew something that they didn't. Something about girl made his heart flutter and drew him towards her. No one was talking much except Hermione Granger, who was whispering very fast to Alex about all the spells she'd learnt and wondering which one she'd need. Harry tried hard not to listen to her. He'd never been more nervous, never, not even when he'd had to take a school report home to the Dursleys saying that he'd somehow turned his teacher's wig blue. He kept his eyes fixed on the door. Any second now, Professor McGonagall would come back and lead him to his doom.

Then something happened which made him jump about a foot in the air – several people behind him screamed.

"What the –?" Alex started but was cut of by Harry's gasps

About twenty ghosts had just streamed through the back wall. Pearly-white and slightly transparent, they glided across the room talking to each other and hardly glancing at the first-years. They seemed to be arguing.

What looked like a fat little monk was saying, "Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give him a second chance –"

"My dear Friar, haven't we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name and you know, he's not really even a ghost – I say, what are you all doing here?" A ghost wearing a ruff and tights had suddenly noticed the first-years. Alex opened her mouth only to be cut of by a ghost.

 "New students!" said the Fat Friar, smiling around at them. "'About to be sorted, I suppose?" A few people nodded mutely as Alex scowled at the ghost. "Hope to see you in Hufflepuff!" said the Friar. "My old house, you know." and with that all of the ghosts floated away.

"so it's true! Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts!" says a Blonde stepping forward in front of Harry "Name's Draco, Draco Malfoy"

Ron gave a slight cough, which might have been hiding a snigger. 

Draco Malfoy looked at him. "Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask who you are.My father told me all the Weasleys have red hair, freckles and more children than they can afford."

"back off blondie" Alex told him noticing Ron's fallen face

 He turned to Her. "and who are you my princess?"

"First of all I am not yours and never call me a princess unless you want a knife sticking out of your throat" she replied "second of all stop bullying other people just because your jealous of them or a as way to kill time or I will hunt you and your fake blonde hair down and make you pay" Alex said in a threatening tone taking a step forward with each word until she right in front of him and glaring daggers at him, making Draco gulp "Good" she said walking back and standing in her spot again.

"Remind me to never cross her" Harry muttered to Ron

"Move along now," said the sharp voice of Professor McGonagall white tapping Draco's shoulder with a roll of parchment. "The Sorting Ceremony's about to start."

"Now, form a line," Professor McGonagall told the first-years, when Draco had turned to face her "and follow me." 

Feeling odd, Alex got into line behind Hermione, with Harry and Ron behind her and they walked out of the chamber, back across the hall and through a pair of double doors into the Great Hall. Alex had never even imagined such a strange and splendid place. It was lit by thousands and thousands of candles which were floating in mid-air over four long tables, where the rest of the students were sitting. These tables were laid with glittering golden plates and goblets. At the top of the Hall was another long table where the teachers were sitting. Professor McGonagall led the first-years up here, so that they came to a halt in a line facing the other students, with the teachers behind them. The hundreds of faces staring at them looked like pale lanterns in the flickering candlelight. Dotted here and there among the students, the ghosts shone misty silver. To avoid all the staring eyes, Harry looked upwards and saw a velvety black ceiling dotted with stars. 

He heard Hermione and Alex whisper, "It's bewitched to look like the sky outside" 

Hermione turned to Alex with a big smile. It was hard to believe there was a ceiling there at all, and that the Great Hall didn't simply open on to the heavens. Harry quickly looked down again as Professor McGonagall silently placed a four-legged stool in front of the first-years. On top of the stool she put a pointed wizard's hat. This hat was patched and frayed and extremely dirty.  Maybe they had to try and get a rabbit out of it, Alex thought wildly remembering the Muggle birthday party she had seen, that seemed the sort of thing – noticing that everyone in the Hall was now staring at the hat, she stared at it too. For a few seconds, there was complete silence. Then the hat twitched. A rip near the brim opened wide like a mouth – and the hat began to sing:

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty, But don't judge on what you see, I'll eat myself if you can find A smarter hat than me. You can keep your bowlers black, Your top hats sleek and tall, For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat And I can cap them all. There's nothing hidden in your head The Sorting Hat can't see, So try me on and I will tell you Where you ought to be. You might belong in Gryffindor, Where dwell the brave at heart, Their daring, nerve and chivalry Set Gryffindors apart; You might belong in Hufflepuff, Where they are just and loyal, Those patient Hufflepuffs are true And unafraid of toil; Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, If you've a ready mind, Where those of wit and learning, Will always find their kind; Or perhaps in Slytherin You'll make your real friends, Those cunning folk use any means To achieve their ends. So put me on! Don't be afraid! And don't get in a flap! You're in safe hands (though I have none)For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

The whole Hall burst into applause as the hat finished its song. Itbowed to each of the four tables and then became quite still again.