chapter twenty three : some fine security you've got there

[XXIII]

"I GIGGLE a little as she spreads her hand out.

"See, it's massive!"

"Is not!"

She snatches my hand briskly and pairs it against hers, her worn fingers stretching past mine.

"I've got like, a few centimetres more than you, tops."

I waggle my eyebrows at her, and she bats me away with her hand.

"No, no. Get away with that same joke you make..."

But I can't help it.

"...that's what she said!"

I grin at her impishly as she rolls her eyes in disdain, clearly peeved at my repeated one-liner.

"It doesn't even make sense, man. You're making a dick joke. What kind of centimetres are girls packing?"

"You're forgetting about my humongous dick, dude," I boast sarcastically. "Plus.. your humour is based entirely off of puns. Bad ones."

She holds her hand to her chest like I had shot her, leaning back on the wall in defeat.

"You're telling me you didn't like the cremation one?" She whines. I look at her, pokerfaced.

"I believe your line was, 'Why do I want to be cremated? To get a last chance at having a smoking hot body!'. That's like, the cheesiest line I've ever heard."

Now it's Ellie wiggling her brows suggestively. "I see, I see. You don't like it because it's inaccurate. I already have a smokin' hot body, don't I, Crumpets?"

"Call me Crumpets one more time..." I glare, ready to totally annihilate her. "...just see what happens."

"..."

"..."

"Crumpets," she whispers.

"You're so dead, Williams!"

-

After I had untied the ropes on her hands, it was pretty easy to untie the rest of them. Ellie tried to undo the ones on her legs, and failed miserably, for which I teased her to no end. So naturally, she had to caterpillar her way towards me, using her hands to slide her body comically across the floor towards me. It was really funny. But I undid them, after making her promise if we somehow found bread, I got dibs, which annoyed her. Bread was practically the only thing in the world we could eat and others couldn't, due to most flour still running the risk of carrying the fungus. She reluctantly agreed, and I released her legs.

But Ellie soon turned the tables on me, demanding that if I ever wanted to be free, even with her abominable unknotting skills, I would have to release her from the bread promise.

"What would they even call us?" I laughed, as she began to undo the knot, very slowly, around the pillar. We weren't in a rush, because the room was locked, so there was no way to get out until someone came in. We thought we'd just pass the time until then.

"Hm...bread biters?"

She chuckled, her eyes crinkling as her lips lifted. It touched my heart.

"Mushroom huggers is pretty good."