CHAPTER 2

"So where do you want to go? " I asked Neel. "I hear the new Gilly's serves the best mocktails."

"Actually I can't stay. I have some more errands to run for the boss." He said.

I pouted. "But it is your birthday. I had the whole evening planned." Well, most of it. My plan was birthday cake at the coffee shop, then Gilly's where it was couple's night and then sneak him into my hostel terrace and end with star-gazing. Since coffee shop was a bust, I had to improvise. Aparna was on the way to my hostel with birthday cake and we were to have a private cake-cutting ceremony on the terrace. Now that plan will also be cancelled. I wish I knew where to find his boss, just so that I can give him a piece of my mind.

Neel looked adorably apologetic. "It is unavoidable dear. How about this weekend?"

"You know that I have to go for my friend's party/thing. I had told you, last week."

"Oh yes. Another day then." Neel lifted my chin so that he could see my dejected face. "I promise I will make it up to you."

"Fine." I said. There was really nothing else to say. As I watched his retreating figure, I couldn't help but think about all the times this happened. On new year's he had a conference call, on valentine's day he had to prepare for a class-action suit. While I liked his strong work ethic, I sometimes felt that I came only a distant second in his priorities.

Well, his loss. I thought. I picked up my phone, and called Aparna. "Hey! Where are you?

"Almost there." I could hear her huffing "these things are heavy you know"

"Listen, change of plans. Can you keep the cake at our hostel? Neel had to go for work. We will eat it later."

"I have a better plan." The phone call was disconnected and Aparna was standing in front of me.

"We will go to the pub, will burst the party popper on the bouncer, get in the pub and eat the cake there. It is happy hour, so you will buy me anything I want because I deserve it. Then we will go get me a pretty lehanga for the party this weekend." She deposited half of the bags she was carrying and took out the party popper.

Hey! I promise I will buy you anything you want. Just do not embarrass us, or ban us from this really cool place.

"Killjoy." She said disheartened. "But do not forget your promise"

I smiled. My friend thought herself to be stubborn, but I knew she was the most easily persuaded person in the world.

The pub was not crowded, just a few people testing the microphone, and tuning their guitars. I go to pubs for these acts. I love to hear the drunken karaoke singers or those stand up comedians who look into your soul and joke about it. I never drink though. Not since Neel and I got together. Two years, 5 months, 3 days and ...I looked at my watch... twenty minutes. I remember, because it was another happy hour, in this same pub, come to think of it, in this same chair, that I first met him. I was sipping their signature cocktail, waiting for Aparna and the gang to come, scanning the room as I often do. There he was, sitting at the corner with a bunch of heavily suited men, looking quite forlorn. It was as if he wanted no part of the conversation/heated argument, happening on their table. He turned, ours eyes met and I gave a little wave.

"Earth to Ann." Aparna's voice pierced into my musing.

"Ah. Nothing. I was just thinking about when I first met Neel."

"For once in our life, think about something other than him. For god's sakes Ann. There is your research, let's talk about that, or the fact that I might flunk my finals, or the weather. Anything, other than the guy who is not even here."

"Sorry, it is just that I met him here" I started, but stopped when I saw her face." Alright. The research is not going well; I guess physiology of anamorphic fungi is not very interesting. Also, you are not going to flunk." I said, patting her hand. "You are the best person I know and an excellent student"

"Too bad they are testing me on organic chemistry, and not on how good a person I am." She slumped into the chair. "Professor Sahni failed half the batch last time, and he hates me"

The waiter brought our drinks. Aparna looked disgustedly at my lime juice and raised her hand. Another round here and bring her something with alcohol.

"You know I don't want any. Besides, you should be sober if you want to go shopping after this."

"A couple of drinks are nothing for me." She patted her tummy. "I m a tank, an endless reservoir."

"Alright my dear reservoir, drink up so that we can move on" I said laughing.

She opened the package and pulled out the cake. For an eggless, maida-less gluten free cake, it looked delicious.

"I still do not get why he is such a health freak. Cakes are supposed to be high calorie, which is the very reason why we eat them."

I shugged. "You can't change a person. If he likes being healthy, what is wrong with it?" Seriously Aparna, what I do not get is why you are so against him? You are not the one dating him, I am."

"Exactly. You do not change a person. And I hate him because he is doing exactly that-changing you. You used to love all things carb. Now you do not even eat biscuits. I take offence at that. Hashtag biscuits are bae."

"Leave your hashtags to your insta-posts." Angry as I was, I couldn't suppress a smile. "I chose to improve my habit, that's all. I am still the same me."

"Ok. Let's agree to disagree. By the way this cake is not half bad. So I am giving you a leeway" She said her mouth filled with cake. "But just this once."

I pushed the beer the waiter had brought for me towards her. "Here, wash it down with this while I pay the bill."

Aparna nodded. If she noticed that I did not even touch the bottle, she did not say anything.