CHAPTER 16 - "Finals Time, Part Two"

Tied for first place?! How did she manage to score as well as I did?! My hands clench so tight on my results paper that it starts to rip. I crumple it up and toss it into a trash can as I walk out of the 3A-Classroom. Something needs to be done about the E-Class, and it needs to be done soon.

~

Tied for first place?! How did I manage to score as well as him?! I stare at my results paper in disbelief, re-reading every single letter and number. It still reads:

Math - 96/100 - 3rd Overall

Science - 97/100 - Tied with Gakushu Asano - 2nd Overall

Social Studies - 100/100 - 1st Overall

Japanese - 98/100 - 2nd Overall

English - 100/100 - 1st Overall

Total - 491/500 - Tied with Gakushu Asano - 1st Overall

"Megumi, how'd you do?" Nakamura asks me, moving over to my desk. She looks over my shoulder and gasps, "No way!"

I turn over to her, still trying to process the feeling of victory. She beams at me and yells, "Guys! Megumi tied with Asano! We're going to Okinawa next week!" Our classmates celebrate and congratulate me, but all that matters to me right now is my plan. It's finally been set in motion after ten years of patience...

~

I still can't believe it, even as the principal walks past me, giving me an empty congratulations. The vice principal is just wishing us a happy summer break when my mind finally accepts it. I've won. Well, not completely, but it's a start. Who knows - maybe by the end of the school year, I'll be ranked number one. Of course, that'll take a lot of work, but I'm used to that!

"Come on, Megumi," Shinobu says, nudging me. I blink a few times and focus my attention towards my surroundings: the school gymnasium where dozens of students are flocking out of its doors, eager to start their summer break. "Let's go rub our win in the big five's faces!"

I nod and join a group of my classmates consisting of Isogai, Shinobu, Nakamura, Okuda, Karma, and Nagisa. We all walk towards an area outside of the main gymnasium that has a few vending machines. Ahead of us stands Natsuhiko, Araki, Tomoya, Ren, and Asano.

Our two groups stand in front of each other, no one saying anything. After an awkward minute of silence, Isogai clears his throat and looks back at me. Does he expect me to start a conversation? Seriously, Isogai? I groan and walk forward. The big five look expectingly at me, and I suddenly remember why I'm here - because my classmates kicked their asses!

"So," I start, barely being able to hide my amusement at the situation. "Do you guys think the locals in Okinawa are still as hot as they were last year?" Asano looks over at me, visibly offended.

~

There's no way she just said that! Not only does she take away my top position, but she also blatantly disregards our relationship - in front of her classmates! This is unbelievable.

I glance over at my friends. They're obviously uncomfortable with the question. Before Megumi can spit out anymore disrespect, I ask her, "Megumi, may I speak with you?" She starts to look back at Shinobu, so I add, "Just the two of us."

~

Just the two of us?! I glance back at Nakamura, who very obviously slides her finger across her neck, gesturing that I'm about to be murdered. I take a deep breath and look back at Asano. Now, he's the one trying to hide his amusement. Oh, how the tables always seem to turn on me. I've got to stay composed, though.

I smile and answer, "Of course." I turn back towards my group and gesture for them to leave. Almost all of them stare at me with terror. "There's no reason to be afraid," Asano calls to us. "I just want to speak to my... friend." The way he says 'friend' sends a shiver down my spine.

Shinobu and Ren are the first to leave, and after them, the others walk away, leaving me defenseless against Asano. I'm fucked.

"So," he mimics, moving closer to me. "Do you think any of your classmates are 'hot'?" I back up. I've got to stay strong.

"Jealous?" I tease, daring to take a step closer to him so that we're barely a foot away.

"One could say that."

"Aw," I coo, holding up a hand to brush his hair back. His left hand grabs my wrist and holds it mid-air. I flinch a bit at how cold his hand is.

"Don't forget where you stand," he orders, his purple eyes watching me. I stare back at him, not allowing myself to breathe any faster than before. Don't show weakness. "You're an E-Class student. Behave like one."

He lets go of my wrist and walks away from me without even saying goodbye. It's times like these where I wonder why I ever agreed to be his girlfriend that lonely August night. That's why - I was lonely.

As I stand in the shaded area near the vending machines, the conversation replays in my head. There's one part in particular that bugs me: "You're an E-Class student. Behave like one." Why would he want me to act like Terasaka and his gang? I mean, that's the definition of E-Class, right? Maybe I should. He told me to after all.

I start to walk towards the mountain that protects the main building from students... no, revolutionaries like me. Wait, that's exactly it! I'll start a revolution against the class system of Kunugigaoka!

Just you wait, Asano, I'll be acting like a true E-Class student in no time and so will you!