The Loop - 5

I let out a bloodcurdling scream, freaking out. Darren immediately woke up and stared before asking, "What, what?!" He placed his hand on my shoulder as he tried to calm me down enough to explain.

"The woman!!" I pointed to the spot where I last saw her, but she was gone...
"She..." My facial expression changed once I noticed she was gone. "I swear she was just..there.." I whispered.

"Are you messing with me?" He responded. I paused before shaking my head slowly. Darren stared me down and just didn't believe it. The silence was loud until a phone ringing broke it. I knew it wasn't my phone since it was dead and probably destroyed from the crash. I had no one to call anyway..

Darren checked his phone. It wasn't his either. We looked back at Sonny who was still knocked out asleep. Darren reached back, patting him down to check for a phone. He eventually found Sonny's phone, grabbing it from his pocket and looking at it.

"His phone isn't damaged at all...huh." Darren said. I move over to get a better look at the phone. "Damn..it has not one crack?" I asked. Darren shook his head. The person who was calling had already hung up by time he found it.

"Well, guess it was nothin." Darren said, about to place the phone near Sonny. The phone started ringing again. Darren still had it in his hand, so he checked it. "It's his daughter, Kinley..?" He said, confused.

"She has a phone?" I responded. He shrugged, answering the phone. "Hello?" He said. I stayed quiet beside him. There was nothing but muffled noises coming from the phone. I glanced at Darren who glanced at me. Finally, we heard a voice.

"He—llo?" Someone's voice came from the phone. "Kinley?" Darren asked. "I——he—" Her voice started breaking up. I looked at Darren and asked, "Did she just say she needs help?" He stayed silent for a second before asking her, "Hey, say that again I couldn't understand you."

"I ne—d help! Mommy's on t—he floor and she isn't bre—athing!" Her voice sounded shaky. "What-" Darren was cut off by Kinley's voice. "Please he—lp!"

"Okay, hold on Ley Ley. What's going on?" A concerned look grew on my face as it did on Darren's. Sonny slowly awakened and had not a clue what was happening. "Who's that?" He groaned, wiping his eyes.

"Shh!" Darren interrupted, trying to listen for Kinley. "NO! S——P! STO-" a gunshot came from the phone. A second one came right after, the phone hanging up. "Hello?!" Darren asked worriedly. I was in shock while Sonny still had not an idea of what was happening.

"KINLEY?!" He yelled in a panic. That's when it hit Sonny. "Was that my daughter?!" He said, his tone completely changing. He immediately grabbed ahold of his phone. "Kinley?!" He sternly said.

I look over at Darren who was also staring back at me. "KINLEY!!" Sonny yelled out, tears forming in his eyes. He repeatedly called her, but the phone just kept going to voicemail...

Sonny then burst out into tears. Darren and I decided not to say anything until he calmed down. We didn't want to upset him any further. After fidgeting around with my fingers for a while, Sonny finally calmed down. I glanced at Darren and gave him this look that said, "So, should we try now?"

He nodded his head. A minute went by as I waited for him to make the move, but he didn't...I gave him this look that said,"Soo...are you gonna do it or?" He looked at me like I was crazy and pointed to me basically saying I should do it. I stared at him blankly, shaking my head slowly.

He rolled his eyes and turned around to face Sonny. "Sonny, man...I'm so sorry this shit is happening. I really pray she's okay." Sonny let out a few sniffles before leaning into the back of the driver's seat. Darren turned back around, giving me this look that said, "See?! I knew I shouldn't have done it!" I shrugged.