Oh, Sunny Girl - The Short Story

Creak... Creak... Creak

The world seemed to sway as she looked into the vibrant oil painting known as the sky; 7:43 pm and the golden oranges blended beautifully into one another as the fiery orb fell beneath the skyline of the distant, tree-filled hills.

The sun seemed bigger tonight.

The girl continued to swing on her small swing set... The one that her father built her when she was only four years old.

He sat on his lawn chair on the deck of the old farmhouse, watching his little girl admire the sunset, as she does every day at dusk. In his hand was a cup with the last bit of wine that he promised to save until the time was right.

He heard her faint giggling, watching the silhouette of his daughter swing; her long hair blowing in the breeze and her sundress flowing as she swung back and forth.

He cracked a small smile...

It couldn't have been more beautiful tonight.

The warm tones from the sky illuminated the green in the grass, the view being a seamless blend of oranges, greens, and purples as the night sky slowly began to dim.

She could swing for hours.

Her eyes found the darkness.

"Daddy, the stars!"

His heart ached. He knew time was unstoppable.

The last sip of the glass of his and his late wife's wedding wine glided down his throat. He stood up, approaching his daughter as her swing got lower and lower.

She wanted to look at the stars. She loved the stars.

Time is too fast.

As the red faded from the sky, he stood next to the little girl. The cool tones of the night sky touched the pale skin of his daughter as she gazed into the stars.

Oh, how she always loved the sky.

"The stars are so bright!" She smiled.

Her eyes focused on on particularly bright one. With her dads hand on her shoulder, slowly rubbing his thumb, she began to question it.

"Why is it so bright, daddy?" She stared at the burning star, "It looks like the moon."

My sunny girl...

"Some stars are brighter than others, pumpkin." He fought the prickling behind his eyes and the lump in his throat, "Some like to get real close to earth. Like a show, that's all."

It burned brighter and brighter.

"It's brighter than the moon now!" She exclaimed, nervous but trusting her father, who's grip was tighter, yet shakier.

"It is..." He whispered, "Just watch it, honey. Focus on how beautiful it is."

She obeyed, watching how the star got brighter and larger by the second. It was beautiful, she was mesmerized.

The two stood in silence. With their eyes on the sky, the man's emotions slowly began to pour. His eyes filled with tears and he shook as he choked out his sobs, wanting to stay strong for her.

Everything will be okay...

It made her panic, "Daddy, are you okay?" She looked up to her only parent, the only man that showed love to her in the 9 years she'd been alive.

"Yes... Yes, I'm okay..." He forced a smile, "It's just so beautiful."

"Mhm!" She trusted him and looked back at the star, "It's brighter than the sun!"

This is it, Henry. It's okay.

"Oh, sunny girl..." He closed his eyes and held her close to his side, "Nothing in the universe will ever shine brighter than you."

She kept quiet from then and gazed towards
the growing star in silence. It made her heart race, but her fathers words calmed her down. The universe was bright, but she felt brighter.

"I love you, peanut."

"I love you too, daddy!"

...

And then it happened;
The entire world stopped.

The last moments were a face with tears and a face with wonder. A face who knew fate and a face who believed that the possibilities were endless. The heart of a strong man and the heart of the girl who gave him that strength.

The earth shattered in that moment. The exact moment where everything felt okay.

He told himself that he gave her the best life he could.

She told herself that she was the brightest thing that the universe would ever hold... for eternity.

Take care of her, Henry.
Make her feel like she's the brightest star in the sky.

Always,
Meredith

C.L.I
2/21/23