Eight Months

"Mi amor, you've hardly touched your food," Alejandro frowned. He and Heather ate at his white marble dining table Friday night.

"I'm not hungry," said Heather, poking at the sliced empanadas on her plate with her fork. She had carefully cut her food into small pieces.

Alejandro was confused, but he didn't say anything, assuming Heather just wanted to be tidy. But it was weird because Heather had stopped caring about how she looked when she ate around him a long time ago. "Alright," he replied, pushing his chair out. "I will save them later if you change your mind." He picked up her plate.

"Thanks," she muttered.

Alejandro started to worry more as he emptied her leftovers into a plastic container. Empanadas were one of Heather's favorite dishes from his home country. She always cleared her plate and asked for seconds every time he made them.

When he returned, Heather was in the living room scrolling through her phone on his grey couch, her knees up to her chest. He sat next to her, pulling out his phone to check for any missed calls.

Heather frowned. Lately, she had been obsessed with looking up the most popular models online. And now, she came across a picture of herself. She could immediately pick apart everything she felt was wrong with her. The photo was from a week ago, and she hardly noticed a difference from what she looked like a few months back. Is my diet doing nothing?!

Finding nothing exciting or important, Alejandro put his phone down on the end table. "Should we watch a movie? What was the one you wanted to see again?"

"No, I'm not in the mood," replied Heather, anxiously chewing on her lip.

He scooted closer to her. "Love, are you sick?"

Heather quickly turned her screen over. "No, I'm fine. Just tired."

Alejandro eyed her phone. Heather never hid it from him like that before. "What were you looking at?" He asked.

"Nothing!" She said abruptly. "It's not anything you'd care about." Her cheeks flushed red with embarrassment.

Alejandro, thinking Heather was blushing, snatched her phone with a smirk. "I bet it is. Are you researching ways we could have fun in bed?"

"No! Give it back, you disgusting jerk!" Heather climbed over his lap, reaching for her phone.

"Nope." He smiled, holding the device over his head. "I will not let you surprise me like you did a few weeks ago. It's my turn, now."

"Ugh," Heather clenched her jaw. "Don't make me claw your arm off!"

"Your threats do not scare me, mi vida." Alejandro glanced at the recent picture of Heather on the internet. She was modeling in a long, silky blue dress. "Wow, usted es un espectáculo para los ojos doloridos" (You are a sight for sore eyes).

"Just give it back," she begged with a defeated sigh.

He handed her the phone. "Why were you looking at a picture of yourself online when you could simply look in the mirror?"

Heather rolled her eyes. "I was just—I was wondering...do you think I look good in the photoshoot?" She rubbed her arm.

"Of course! Why wouldn't I?" Alejandro knitted his eyebrows together.

"How do I look now?"

Alejandro rocked himself forward, planting a soft kiss on her cheek. "You look gorgeous. You always look gorgeous."

Heather stared at the picture. She wondered if he noticed her 10-pound weight loss because she felt no different.

"What's on your mind, mi reina?" Alejandro wrapped his arms around her waist from the side. He rested his chin on her shoulder.