Light

I dwell in this inky darkness. I have been stuck here for God knows how long. And I have not found a way out. I have lost almost all sense of purpose, but one thing still keeps me going. Her. I have to find her. I promised to her I would come back. I just can't bear the thought of losing her. She was the one who found me when I was broken and yet she made me whole again. With her, I feel alive. A sudden roar broke me out of my musings. Oh no. It's coming for me. The beast has been hounding me ever since I woke up here; and I barely escaped the first time. I heard a growl to my right. I started running. I don't care where I went, I just had to get away from it. I felt its hot breath on my back. That was the last thing I felt before the world vanished. It had gotten me. It put me through tortures you wouldn't be able to imagine. It tried to break me, but I knew I had to be strong. I had to be strong for her. Seconds turned into minutes, minutes into hours, and hours into days, and days into weeks. Then one day, I finally snapped. She appeared in front of me, pain and betrayal evident in her face, and she spoke.

"I thought you loved me."

"I did. I still do."

"Then how could you leave me alone? You said you would never leave me! You said you'd always be there for me! How could you?! I hate you!"

Her frost laden words hurt me more than any torture that had been inflicted upon me. I knew she wasn't real, just an illusion of the beast, but I couldn't help it. My mind broke as the beast roared in triumph, knowing it was victorious and had finally broken me. My fate was sealed. I had lost everything. She was gone. I broke down, sobbing. She was really gone. Had I not done enough for her? I had given her everything. We were supposed to have a happy ending. Tears streaming down my face, I managed to choke out, "I'm sorry." Then the beast known as fear finally devoured me.

I woke up with a start, gasping for air. I knew what I had to do. I quickly dressed up, and got into my car. I drove on for what seemed like miles. Finally, I had arrived. I look down onto her grave. It had been two years ago. I wasn't able to save her. I couldn't help it, but a sob escaped my lips. I completely broke down after that. I knelt by her grave, sputtering apologies. When I had calmed down, I then realized, staring at her grave, she made me whole, never to be broken again. I'm sorry.