Chapter 9

For a few days, the school could talk of little but the attack on Mrs Norris, and who the supposed culprit had been. Filch kept it fresh in everyone's minds by pacing the spot where she had been attacked, as though he thought the attacker might come back. He could be seen scrubbing the message on the wall with 'Mrs Skower's All-Purpose Magical Mess Remover', but to no effect; the words still gleamed as brightly as ever on the stone. When Filch wasn't guarding the scene of the crime, he was skulking red-eyed through the corridors, lunging out at unsuspecting students and trying to put them in detention for things like 'breathing loudly' or 'looking happy'. (Y/n) had already been victim to seventeen of these unjust punishments.

Speaking of which, (Y/n) had, to Harry, Ron and Hermione's relief, not spoken a word about what Hermione had said that night after she had profusely apologised, he simply pretended nothing had been said, however, Hermione had noticed that he was a lot quieter as of late and, much to her shock, stopped giving annoyed outbursts during Lockhart's lessons, and simply sat quietly and did what little relavant work was given, if work was given that he found to be unneeded or unimportant, he simply left it out and doodled on his notebooks.

When she questioned him about it one morning, he had simply shrugged and went down to breakfast.

Ginny Weasley seemed very disturbed by Mrs Norris's fate. According to Ron, she was a great cat-lover.

"But you hadn't really got to know Mrs Norris," Ron told her bracingly. "Honestly, we're much better off without her."

Ginny's lip trembled.

"Stuff like this doesn't happen often at Hogwarts," Ron assured her. "They'll catch the nutter who did it and have him out of here in no time. I just hope he's got time to Petrify Filch before he's expelled. I'm only joking-" Ron added hastily, as Ginny blanched.

(Y/n) noticed that Hermione had been spending a lot more time in the Library than usual, probably looking for the same thing everyone else was. He was sitting in the Library one evening with Harry and Ron while Hermione looked in another part of the Library.

As was Ron measuring his History of Magic homework, Hermione burst in from between the bookshelves, looking irritable.

"What's wrong? Needed help reaching a book 'Mione?" (Y/n) smirked she just shushed him.

"All the copies of Hogwarts a History have been checked out" she explained.

"Professor Binns asked for a three-foot-long composition on, 'The Medieval Assembly of European Wizards,' and Ron was frustrated, "I don't believe it... I'm still Eight inches short..." Ron dropped his parchment and it sprang back into a roll, "Hermione has Four feet Seven inches... (Y/n) got more than three feet... and their writing was tiny!" He said to Harry and sighed, he looked over at him, "(Y/n), could I-"

"No."

"You don't even know what-"

"You were going to ask me if you could read my Composition, and my answer is no."

"Hermione, let me read your composition," said Ron desperately, checking his watch. (Y/n) rolled his eyes.

"No, I won't," said Hermione, suddenly severe. "You've had ten days to finish it."

"I only need another two inches, go on..."

The bell rang. Ron and Hermione lead the way to History of Magic, bickering with Ron all the way to class.

Today's lesson of History of Magic was as boring as ever, Professor Binns, Hogwarts' only ghost teacher, opened his notes and began to read in a flat drone like an old vaccum cleaner until nearly everyone in the class was in a deep stupor, occasionally coming round long enough to copy a name or a date, then falling asleep again. He had been speaking for half an hour before something happened that had never happened before. (Y/n) out up his hand.