A Valentine to Never Forget

5:00 pm

"Hello? Is anyone there?" rings throughout the bright and lively house as I prepare the last decorations on the table, thinking to myself "Tonight's going to be big. I know I'm finally going to do it. I love her too much not too." My thoughts are interrupted by another series of knocks and that piercing voice again yelling "COME ON MAN ITS BLOODY COLD!". "Okay okay, be patient!" I yell back as I make my way to the front door and open it to my friend, Freddie standing there dripping wet shivering, but I couldn't care less when I see he has exactly what I need in his hands. "Please tell me it's the one she wanted Fred" I almost pleaded at him. "Mallory be serious right now. You asked me to go and get a ring TWO, I repeat TWO days before valentines, and you have the actual audacity to be picky with which one I got" as he spoke, I felt my heart drop. "Fred I'm sorry man but you have to unders..." I began to say until I saw the smuggest grin creep upon his face.  "HA! Your face is hilarious. I'm offended that you don't believe I would actually get her dream ring Mallory". I sighed a breath of relief as he gave me the bag containing the ring.

5:28 pm

"Alright Mallory, the dessert is setting in the fridge, the lights are perfect, our dinner is plated set on the picnic blanket and I am looking mad fine." I listed to myself as I prepared the last things before she gets home. I checked the time thinking it had only been five minutes or so but then I saw that she would be home at any second. I hurried to the front door and felt for the ring in my pocket... "No, No, NO! Where is it. I can't afford to lose this now.

5:46 pm

I found the ring. It was in my other pocket. But it doesn't matter any way, she still isn't home. "Should I call her. No Mallory, she's just stuck in traffic or something. But what if she forgot you guys have a date tonight or she could be... OH. SHUT. UP. Its valentines, she isn't going to forget. She's just caught in traffic. That's the only explanation" I tried to convince myself, but I was mildly failing.

5:50 pm

Maybe ill just watch tv for a bit while I wait that's a sure-fire way to pass time. I was about to turn on the movie channel, when an urgent news story came across the screen stating "Major car crash on 13th street, Madison Gardens. Expect delays. Please stay out the way of emergency vehicles." Relief washed over me knowing that was most likely why she was late but then sadness knowing someone wouldn't be able to go home to their valentine. Oh well, things happen. Movie time.

6:55 pm

I almost jump straight out my skin when I hear the phone ring. How could I be so stupid to fall asleep. As I run to the phone, I trip on the picnic blanket I have set up in the living room causing me to fall onto all the food and decorations I spent all day setting up. As if this day couldn't get any worse...

I scrammed to the phone just in time to pick it up and quickly shouted into the receiver "Oh finally, I didn't think you were going to call Thana. What's taking so long I thought you finished at 5. I have this whole set up for tonight because you know its Valentines. But don't worry, take your time, I don't want you to rush. Oh, be careful of that cras...". As I practically spat out my words, I could hear a voice quietly on the other end, but it wasn't the voice I'd grown to love. Before I could even process that, the voice spoke up to say "Is this Mr Castor?" I hesitated to answer as I didn't recognize the quiet voice, but quietly spoke when I heard cries in the background. "This is he. May I ask who I'm speaking to." At this point my heart was racing and it only got faster when the voice began to speak again. "I am a doctor at the Royal Adelaide Hospital, you were listed as an emergency contact for Miss Thana Six. I regret to inform you she was in a car accident and we really tried but she didn't make it sir." In that moment it all clicked, the news report and not answering my calls. I felt nothing as if my heart had been ripped straight from my chest.

6:57 pm

"Hello? Is anyone there?" bellows from the phone as it rings throughout the now melancholy house to accompany my broken cries.

The End...