Chapter 2: Jahiem's here

“C’mon Tracey, it’s almost over. Push a little harder!” Rachel was holding my hand as I pushed. I could hear my baby crying. I was feeling weak and I was just ready for it to be over. I’d been in labor for 7 hours. Finally, at 6:34 pm on February 15 Jahiem Anthony Marshall was born at 6 lbs 5 oz. He was really light with chocolate chinky eyes. I was crying and he was crying. He had Rah’s nose, but to me he looked just like James when he was first born. I fell inlove at soon as I saw him. At that very moment, I started living for him. He became my first and only priority. I was sad when the doctors had to take him away, I waited so long just for him to get here. Soon after they took him away, I feel straight to sleep.

                I woke up to Rah and Rachel silently arguing.

“This the most fucked up shit you ever did! How dare you miss the birth Raheem? I don’t give a fuck what y’all goin through, you should have been here!” She was yellin at him. Quinton sat there silent shaking his head.

“I’ma apologize! It ain’t my fault the plane got delayed. Shit happens, Tracey understand that.” He said. My eyes were closed but I’m sure he had that dumb ass look on his face.
“You seen the baby?” Liza asked him. “He is so cute. No doubt that baby’es related to you guys.” She said.  

“Yeah, now that I seen him I’m sure he mine.” He said. I wanted to jump up right then and there to beat his ass. How could he deny my baby?
“Raheem, I told you that was yo damn baby!  Tracey ain’t never fucked nobody else.” Rachel took up for me.
“I’m just sayin. We broke up so many times I ain’t know what to think…” At that point, I fell out of love. If he would even assume that I would pin someone else’s baby on him, he didn’t know me. If he didn’t know me, he didn’t love me. Flat out. I slowly opened my eyes, to give the effect that I was asleep. My eyes burned a bit at the bright light. Liza glanced over at the bed and saw me, she smiled at me.

“Hey, Beautiful.” She kissed my cheek. Liza was so nice and supportive. It was crazy how I’d woken up, but I was still so tired. I felt physically weak.

“How’s my baby?” I asked. Her and Rachel started laughing.

“Look at her, already concerned. He alright. I just went and saw him again, lookin just like Daddy.” Rachel said. Quinton gave me a half smile. Rah was staring at me the whole time, but I didn’t even look in his direction. I was still outdone at his previous words. We all had more small talk about my little man, then Rah asked everyone to leave so we could talk alone. When Liza finally walked out and closed the door, I stared at him.

                He wasn’t the man I fell in love with. Or was he? Was I blinded by the material things? Had he changed? Had I changed? I just looked at him, I had no words for him. He missed the birth of our son.

“Hey.” He spoke awkwardly. Was that really all he had to say? Men could be so stupid. Hey? I didn’t even respond. I sat there in the white, sterile room. “Look, I’m sorry I missed Jahiem getting here. I know you prolly pissed off at me, and I would be pissed too if I was you. But I just wanna say thank you, for bringin him into this world. I know we not together, but I’ma always love you just cause you did that for me.” He said. I batted my eyelashes a few times.

“Oh.”

“See, this what the fuck I be talkin about. I can’t deal with yo childish ass.” He got frustrated.  I started laughing. It wasn’t a hysterical laugh, but it was a light laugh.

“Whatever.”

******

                Two weeks later, I was cradling Jah and trying to do my homework on my laptop. Exhausted wasn’t even a good word to explain how I was feeling.  Jah was a cry baby and he was waring me down. I hadn’t gotten a complete night of sleep in weeks. I was always tired and I took occasional naps. Rachel was suppose to be doing my weave soon. I was definitely looking forward to changing colors. I had been rocking the black for so long and I was trying to get into more of a brown color. I sat at my desk, rocking Jah and checking my teacher’s emails at the same time, when Rah walked into my room. I looked up at him, he leaned down and kissed my forehead, then he kissed Jah.