Chapter 7

Y/n's pov

It was finally fall break. I had a whole week to myself and no one to stop me from having fun.

It was Friday when I was walking home from the bus. I planned to change my clothes and stay out longer than usual. I hadn't explored the town at night yet and this time Mayor Waite told me that there was going to be a festival! I saved up money from helping the elders with easy stuff.

I knew the night was going to be cold so I put on my favorite flannel with dark blue jeans. I put my sneakers on, just in case I had to run, and took my backpack, just this time, I emptied my homework and such on the bed.

When I got there, they were still setting up the place. Mayor saw me and she waved before talking to that white haired guy. He was wearing a black turtleneck with black dress pants and shoes with a red scarf.

Honestly, looking at him was enjoyable. Too enjoyable that I didn't realize Mayor Waite was walking towards me.

"Y/n, you seem tall enough. Can you help Steven hang up some stuff?"

"Who's Steven?" She pointed at him and gestured for him to come over.

"This is Steven. I'm sure you've seen him in the cafe." We stared at each other before I looked back and forth at them.

"Are you guys related or what?" She laughed it off and he just smiled at me. His eyes were a beautiful blue like a crystal clear lake.

"We're just friends, y/n. But he is like a brother to me."

"How old are you?"

"20," He answered a little too fast. But at the same time, he's probably tired of people saying he looks an hour into retirement.

"20!?"

"And how old are you? 14?"

"I'm 18..." Mayor Waite chuckled.

"You two need to hurry up. Festival starts at 7." And with that, she walked away. I stared at him before he just started walking, expecting me to follow, which I did. We walked over to some banners laying down and he pulled out two ladders.

We both hung up one side at a time, slowly moving down to space them out.

I was so tempted to talk to him. So many different possibilities went through my head as he looked like nothing went on in his.

"Steven..." Stupid. So stupid.

He looked at me as a response. I quickly looked back at what I was working on.

"Have you ever seen Slenderman?"

"I don't believe in that type of stuff." Liar.

"Really? It seems to be a popular topic."

"Just stories, I suppose. Yes, they're fun to listen to, but we also have access to a lot of stunt stuff so it could be a man on stilts terrorizing people and wanting to get closer to little girls like you, who believes in him." Woah.

That made me question things. He chuckled at my fear and got down from his ladder.

"So- Wait!" I tried climbing down but got my foot stuck. He quickly turned to my attention and I fell off the ladder.

My life flashed before my eyes and I have never felt my chest pump this much blood.

I closed my eyes, expecting to feel hard gravel. But instead, I fell in contact with two gentle arms. I shivered and opened my eyes, Steven smiling down at me. I blinked in embarrassment and he put me down as I made effort to move.

"Thank you..." I avoided eye contact and looked around for something to. He hummed and went to grab another banner.

"Are you gonna help me with this one or be a coward and do something else?" With the amount of attitude in his voice, I knew he was amused. I grabbed one side and slid my ladder a couple of feet down the road.

After all of that, I got some food and watched others roam around. Steven came up to me but did nothing. Just watched the people with me.

I looked up at him and back at the crowd. He laughed under his breath, which caused me to turn around again.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing. I promise."

"You want to play a game?" I stuffed the last piece of food I had in my mouth and dusted my hands.

"Which one?"

"Mmm," I looked around and smiled. "Ring toss?"

He looked at the game and back at me before nodding. My smiled grew bigger as we walked over to the game.

We both got 6 ring each and made none of them. I bought 6 more and made one.

He watched as I jumped up and down, not understanding why I'm so happy until I got handed a stuffed bear. It was a good two feet tall and fit in my arm like a toddler.

"Loser," I teased. He glared at I giggled.

"Cheater. You bought more rings."

"I still won something." He rolled his eyes and walked away. I followed behind and ended up doing this for the rest of the night.