Chapter 19: rainbow

"So how is the plan going so far?" Old Grandma asked you, the sunlight beating down on her face accentuating her wrinkles.

The old lady invited you to accompany her for a walk outside the temple because one, is a beautiful day outside and two, she wanted to chat with you about nothing in particular.
But you seriously doubted that because one, even if is a sunny day, it's very cold outside since it's the middle of autumn, and you can't feel your legs and two she hasn't said a word for the last 15 minutes leaving you overthinking about why she hasn't said anything for the last 15 minutes.

"It's alright, I guess" you said looking at your feet "he taught me how to play shogi last week. Even if I didn't understand the rules at first it was ok." you rubbed your eyes and made an ok sign with your fingers.

"Ah, the sunlight's bothering you, dear?" the woman looked at you.

"No, no. I just haven't sleep that much lately. I have these weird dreams, that kind of keeps me up" she looked at you concerned "b-but it's nothing really! I'm sure it's nothing too serious. Don't worry!!" you waved your hands in front of her.

"If you say so..." she looked ahead again "Your japanese have gotten better." a small smile apeared on her face.

"Thank you but it's not like I have a choice." you muttered to yourself. Every evening, Douma said I have to practice for at least 3 hours. Without breaks. And when I tried to negociate with him about that it didn't go well...

2 weeks, 3 days and one anxiety episode ago:

"And that ends our lesson about what to do and not to do during a tea ceremony." Douma shuts his book with a smile on his face "That was a long one."

"It was long because you didn't wanted to end it sooner." you said, barely keeping your eyes open.
"Oh my, little bunny. Did you not sleep well last night? You look so tired." he looked at you with a worried expresion.

"No, I'm fine." you lied.

"Are you sure? If something is bothering you, you know you can tell me." he grabbed your hand and pressed his finger on your wrist.

"I'm sure. I'm good."  your heart started to beat faster.

I just don't wanna talk to you about it.

Douma furrowed his eyebrows for a second, letting go of your hand. "Alright, if you say so."

"B-but I think I wouldn't look so tired if I would study less. I mean seriously, have I ever told you how my brain works? This thing is not made for study, 90% of it is occupied with lyrics from songs."

As he turned around to leave, the demon eyed you.

"Nice try." Douma gave you a sharp smile "tomorrow at the same hour. And you should read the next 5 pages, they will help you."  which translates as: "If you don't do that there will be consequences."

"Have a good night, tiny rabbit!!" he closed the door behind him.

"You too." you started to read again and again.

back to the present:

"On the bright side, I don't think I ever saw the Founder so attached to someone before like...ever." Old Grandma said "so you should be proud of that. Good job, you caught his attention!" she patted your back.

She just complimented my japanese and now I barelly understood something of what she said.

"Uhhh, thank you." you smiled tiredily at her.