A FRESH START

Jin had lost his mind. That was the only explanation.

He was standing out in the parking lot with a large piece of luggage in one hand and a duffle bag in the other. He was miles away from Seoul, wearing an oversized purple t-shirt and shorts, and was about to spend the rest of his life on a strawberry farm. This was a town and a life he was not familiar with.

And he was grinning like an idiot.

He had just exited the arrival area of the airport and was waiting for his ride. Above him, gone was the gloomy smog of a city he was familiar with. Under the sunshine, Jin felt like Jeju island's blue skies colored brightly just for him.

A firm hand shook his shoulder and Jin instantly smiled at a man who greeted him with a grin and crinkled eyes.

"Uncle!" Jin exclaimed.

"Seokjin-ah!" his uncle gave him a bear hug that had Jin lifted off the ground. "So glad to see you!"

"Same here, uncle! Same here!"

"Aigo! Look at you!" Uncle examined Jin from head to toe. "You're now so tall! And so handsome!"

"I can't exactly look at myself, uncle," Jin lifted his head and crossed his eyes. He let out a squeaky laugh at his own joke.

"Happy that humor of yours is still there!"

Jin brought his hand under his chin. "Of course! Funny and good looks run in the family!"

"Haha! True! True!" Uncle beamed and clapped his hand over Jin's shoulder. "Ja! Let's get going! We have a lot of catching up to do."

While both men walked toward a white SUV, Jin looked at his uncle and noticed the changes. Since he was small, he looked up (literally) to his uncle. The man beside him was stout, had more wrinkles, and was now shorter than him. He was a familiar face in Jin's childhood summers and family gatherings.

"Let me put your stuff out in the back," Uncle said, hand ready to take Jin's things.

"Aniyo! I can do it, uncle," Jin was quick to lift his heavy luggage. "Let me."

"I forget you're a man now, Jin-ah," Uncle commented as he fastened his seat belt and started the engine.

They sped away from the airport, and the scene before them was like a moving postcard.

After counting down the days before his move, Jin was finally in Jeju. Music played in the background, and Jin could not help but imagine himself in a movie. He opened the window, rested his chin on his arm, and looked on. He breathed in deeply and closed his eyes for a moment.

(Soundtrack: The Astronaut- Jin)

His ears were instantly bathed in the crash of the waves and the whoosh of the salty wind. His skin, he anticipated was going to be beautifully tanned, as the sun warmed his face. Opening his eyes, he tried to memorize the scene as the colors of the turquoise sea ran alongside them.

Uncle chuckled and took a glance at his nephew.

"Soak it all in, Jin-ah. This is now your home."

Jin looked back, blinking. He broke out in a smile and nodded.

He was finally home.

OUTRO: Hello, yeolobun! Welcome to a new story and a new setting. This will mainly be a light-hearted plot, where I want to transport you all on a mini-vacation. I hope this can be a bit of sunshine to your day.