(20) Lies On Lies

Now, this?
This is a battlefield that caters to me.
Just 2 people sitting, talking.

I might have been bluffing and relying on luck when it came to the physical battlefield, and I always will.

It was only 1 year out of many that were supposed to be, which got cut off when I had to drop out.
But I am so fucking glad that I spent that year attending that shit.

I am trained on this shit man.
I have never lost, not even once.

So go ahead ''Protector of Terra'', show me how much humanity has given you.
So that I may burn it to the mother fucking ground.

Now that last comment should have made me clear.
We both know, I have played my cards as safely as possible since my arrival.
So what could have caused me to take this stance?
From where was I getting the confidence to go on the offensive?

Back to the real world.
Where were we?
Oh right, fuckery

Arguments.
Now when it comes to normal arguments, ones that are watched by an audience whom you are trying to get to subscribe to your own beliefs, things should be kept formal.
Since people are wired by society, it demands formality.

Buuuuut-
If you are on a one-on-one, 2 people, sitting directly opposite to each other. That formality is broken.
The silent laws that govern the table are ignored, for the sake of momentum that comes with shock value.

Where one's true colors come to show.

''AMa-10, they truly did do you dirty there. What kind of title or name even is that? I think the one I have bestowed upon you is far better.''

A twitch.
Nothing more.
Shame, greater results were expected.

''Do you even know what it means?''

Great comeback.
Hides knowledge while prying her opponent.
If only it mattered.

A quick shrug.

''Honestly? No.''

Leaned back into the chair.
Finger pointed.

''But do you understand what mine means?''

It did not matter.
Because I am the one who leads this conversation.
I am the one who calls the shots.

Given the usual cold, harsh stare.
I wish I could tear that off your face.

''I think I do comprehend what you are implying if you truly know what you are talking about, but I will not support the adaptation of such a title, especially if it is coming from you.''

Cutting losses.
Futile attempts at inviting a blunder.

''That stings Kal. I thought you'd accept it. We HAVE known each other for 2 years, haven't we? Aren't we practically pals?
Oh my heart, how it has been shattered-''

Switch the flip.
Or so they think.
Which part is an act? What part is the lie?
Good luck figuring it out.

''Nah. I think I'll stick with it, for now.''
''So? Do I need to go any further, or will you agree to some simple terms, letting both sides cut losses?''

Be blunt.
Be prideful.
Pressure them.

''I'd have to say no. You have been pushing many things currently without showing results for these requests.''
''First, you wanted to use that gun, to fight a duel that you had such a slim chance of winning that you needed to cheat, and still almost died for it. So what makes you think that you can just walk up into my office and demand things, when you have been in such a desperate situation recently?''

Such a monotone voice.
Spoken as if they are lines from a paper.
You...

''Let me think, let me think. I wonder why I could have done any of that?''

And just like that, go back to clowning.
Never let them see through.

''I have not told you yet, so here it is now. Lappland and Texas have both agreed to work with me for now, willingly or not, the end results remain the same.''

Raise a hand into the air.
As if swatting away a fly.

''So what did I gain by getting 2 out of more than 10's of thousands of people working with R.I.? Well, people to help me with the next steps of stabilization, and a gift of goodwill.''
''Now Texas is easy to explain, she works with Penguin Logistics and acts almost like a boss to their little group, and I plan to venture into Lungmen. I need guards, and I knew you probably wouldn't be too keen on giving me any operators even if I begged you for hours, so I took matters into my own hands, and even if you did PL has home-field advantage, they would be preferable.''

They are both pawns of course.
We both know, but at least a part of my intentions need to be conveyed, I really do need that trust.

''For Lapplands case, she is the gift. Many operators complain that she is almost impossible to work with for one reason or another no? She should be pacified soon and be, well, not fixed, too far gone even for my bullshit, but at least brought to a manageable point which will boost morale, no doubt.''

But of course not.
It's actually funny how that makes no fucking sense.

Adapt a more serious tone, clown time is over.

''For what she actually is, I have chosen her as my proxy for the time I will be doing business in Lungmen. One of the reasons being she isn't deeply connected to the R.I. core but strong enough to satisfy my needs.''

I have laid out the truth.
Partially.
This is a contest of lies after all.

''How considerate of you. Passable-''

Now fucking what?

''Or it would be.''
''If you were not trying something on the Doctor.
Getting assistants, getting your ''Proxy'' to her side
What are you trying to do?''

She just got serious.
Her demeanor might not have changed, but I can read you from the inside.

On my side.
How do I explain this?
Wait, I don't even need to hide it do I?

Until the dominos fall and the fires rage on, I don't need anything.

Lean head on the right shoulder, and mimic a questioning pose.

''On that topic of assistants. Let us talk about, your, pawn.''
''Blaze. Really? Why do you even keep trying? You can't hide anything from me.''

Take a sigh, to gather your breath, but also emphasize the helplessness.
Really don't have a choice on the matter, sadly.

''But I'll let it pass, as I always have''
''I know why you are doing it all, as I said, I'd probably do the same. But that shit really kills my vibe you know? Being under supervision no matter what I do kinda gets to one's nerves.''

''But I'd like to try anyway, I'm asking this as a patient, not as an alien invader from another universe but as the patient Azmych under Dr. Kal'tsit's supervision, any chance you could at least try harder to hide the supervision? Do something that even I wouldn't think of during my daily life so that I don't think about being watched all the damn time, aka up your fucking game.''

''Trust me, you will need it in the future.''

That's right.
Push your own limits.
Show me your full capabilities.
Play your hand, and tip the scales.

I am giving mixed signals on this one, just carry on depending on how she responds.

''...''

She played the silence card.
Well played, well played.
It pressures me to get back to her question unless I want to look like I am avoiding that question.

''Bastard.''
''What are my goals eh? Simple really, you should have seen it yourself.''
''The Doc has an, almost unnatural, affinity with the operators do they not? You should have seen it yourself, it's almost crazy how she can get others to follow her.''
''So then, wouldn't it be a good way to unite Rhodes Island by making them loyal to one of the 3 leaders? The Doc would never allow infighting, and if they are all loyal to her, well-''

Snap your left hand.
Declare victory.

''History writes itself from there on.''

Put your hand on the mask.
Almost blundered that.
Clarify that shit.

''Oh, and if you think I am doing all this because of the animosity between you and her. Here is my declaration:''
''I don't give a shit about what you 2 think of each other, just know that both parties need to survive and work together.
Feelings come after business, after all, I think that's a fact you know very well Kal'tsit.''
''This also assumes that you two clarified some things near the sarcophagus, so you should by now know what she is, yes?''

Saved.
Time to lie back and watch the tickers tick in my favor.

''Right.''

There we go.
It wasn't that hard was it now?

An hour passed after that.
We spent it all talking about negotiations and trying to scrape information from one another, both sides mostly didn't earn much.

That initial push of mine was I think the most critical moment.
''That should be all, thank you for the 100 million.
Write down the check by Saturday. Pleasure doing business.''

I get up and start walking away.

I am however exhausted, and feeling like shit.
Maybe just once I will speak out of line.
We did make great progress today, after all, maybe there is hope.

I stop at the now open doorway after I inputted to password to unfreeze the locks.

''Maybe one day we could normalize relations when our circumstances aren't so dire eh?''
''2 entire years we spent basically fighting an endless war, to mostly end on a deadlock.''
''We aren't too different from one another, I think you can feel that too.''

That's right.
You are a worthy opponent, I must admit.

But I won a crushing victory today.
You might be happy right now, thinking that you have just won something.

I can't wait to see your face morph into horror when you realize your blunder the moment you understand the reality of the situation.

May the war rage once more, the temporary truce has ended, and one can now only hope for more victories.
Nothing more, nothing less.