VI. Keith and Maddie

Six months ago.

"You could've gotten yourself badly hurt. You could've gotten my brother hurt. You could've gotten all us.... ugh!!!!"

"How many times do I have to say sorry?"

"Not enough, Maddie!"

"You didn't have to come you know?"

"Seriously, Maddie?"

                                                 -----------------------------------------------------

Sophomore year.

"You're breaking up with me."

"Geez, Keith! Could you at least pretend to be devastated?"

"So you are breaking up with me."

"That doesn't even sound like you're asking me a question! It's like you already knew."

"Alright. You want me to ask a question, here's one. What took you so long?"

Maddie was speechless.

"Wha... what do you mean?" 

She tried to laugh as if she found what Keith said funny.

"You've been planning to break up with me for a while now, right? So what took you so long?"

Maddie scoffed.

"You met someone? Let me guess, a senior?"

Again Maddie scoffed.

"Let me put you out of your misery, Madeline. You have nothing to worry about."

                                            -------------------------------------------

"How could he?", Maddie said as she stuffed her mouth with the cake, Jen and Sarah ordered. "It's like he didn't feel heartbroken? It's like he's accusing me of cheating on him or something?"

"Were you?", Sarah and Jen asked at the same time.

"What? Cheating on him? Of course not!"

"But you did want to go out with that senior while you are still with Keith, right?", Sarah asked.

"That's why I wanted to break up with Keith before I said yes to Greg! Duh?"

"You sure took your pretty little time to do it," Jen commented.

"Whose side are you on?"

"Clearly not yours," Jen mumbled, which made Sarah glared at her.

"What?", Maddie said.

"Nothing!", Jen replied.

"You guys know I like Keith. I like him a lot. We wouldn't have lasted 3 months if I didn't sincerely like him. It's just, well. Greg has more things in common with me than Keith."

"You have an exam tomorrow, right?", Jen suddenly said, again making Sarah glare at her.

"Oh I'll just take a remedial. I'm in no condition to take any exam."

"Were you ever?", there was a kick on the shin under the table. "Ow! Sarah?"

"What? What's happening?", Maddie asked confused.

"Nothing mad, I mean Maddie," Sarah said then glared back at Jen.

"How could he!!!!", Maddie said sniffling.

                                           -------------------------------------------------------------

"Why did you go out with mad Maddie?", Drew asked.

"Because I thought it was a good idea at the time," Keith answered.

"And Noah?"

"Hey! In my defense, I honestly did not know that he liked her, okay? I only found out after I told him that I Maddie asked me out and I said yes. When I saw his expression after I told him that, I knew. Only then did I know, okay?"

"And?"

"I told him I won't go through with the date, but he insisted that I go and all was okay. Like I said. I thought it was a good idea at the time. Lesson learned."

"Well, if it's any consolation. He didn't go and get drunk because of a broken heart. Your brother knows better. He's still in love with mad Maddie, but at least he is staying sober in spite of."

"In spite of me?"

"I know he doesn't hate you for that. He can't force  mad Maddie to like him back you know. Although why she liked you, is a whole new story."

"Ha-ha! Very funny, Drew."

"I'm serious! Not that you're not a catch. It's just that you're not exactly mad Maddie's catch."

"I was beginning to realize that a month into the relationship. Surprised we lasted 3 months. I never should have went out with her, damn it! I mean I love Maddie, like I love you guys, but she can be.... ugh!"

"Were you trying to.... change her?"

Keith just shook his head before putting it in between his hands in exasperation. 

"I don't know, man. I honestly don't know."

Well, like you said. Lesson learned.

"Oh, Noah. I'm so sorry."

Just then a car with the windows down drove by and the song Boys Don't Cry by The Cure was playing.

"Seriously?", Keith and Drew said.