•Chapter 31•

Weeks would pass, soon October came. During that time, they had built up an outdoor training ground. There were things like pull up bars of different heights, obstacles to pass, mechanisms that would shoot projectiles, moving targets, platforms, ropes, and much more. From a single look at it, Leon was growing more eager to start his training. On top of that, he decided not to quit his job until he finished training. It would be more income that way, he decided.

Today was the day he would meet the trainer. He had gotten word that her name was Gracie Mauven. An ex mercenary who was good enough at her job to where she was to train the next generation of agents and mercenaries. She didn't seem too intimidating with her name. Her name literally sounded like Grace, how intimidating could she possibly be? An Irish woman who came to America when she was young and immediately began training when she was of age.

The kids were at school while Claire was at work. Chris was in the house still,  sitting at a desk area they had all set up. He wrote in this little journal about a million miles a minute. While Leon was pacing, he seemed to notice this and he stopped. Walking over to Chris and looking over his shoulder while he wrote.

"What are you writing that fast?" He asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I'm trying to plan something out." He laid his arms over the journal, looking up.

"What for?"

"Something for Genevieve." He said.

Leon raised an eyebrow, his hands resting on his belt now. Why was he so secretive about it? That was his question. He knew that Chris cared deeply for the young girl. He saw something in her that he seemed to have as a child. Or rather, he might have seen his younger sister within her. The urge to protect her and give her a fulfilling parental figure was incredibly strong. They barely went anywhere without each other. Day by day, their bond only grew stronger.

"You're not being all too specific. Should I be worried, Redfield?" Leon questioned.

Chris scoffed under his breath. "No, it's just a really important thing for me. I know it'll be important for her too."

"Are you finally going to ask her if you can become her legal parent?"

He froze. "How did you know that, Kennedy?"

"I'm an adoptive parent too. Of course I know the anxiety of it all. But, from the looks of it. I'm sure she'll be more than happy to become a Redfield kid." He smiled toward him.

"You think so?"

"Are you kidding? I've never seen that kid produce more joy than she does spending time with you. I think she really looks up to you. Hell, you should have seen how she acted before you started having her travel along with you. Like a lost puppy, watching out the window whenever you were supposed to come home. Blood or not. That kid is yours, for sure."

Chris couldn't help but smile just a bit. Whether he liked it or not. Genevieve had become the apple of his eye. He couldn't imagine not being the one she looked up to. She gave him the inspiration to keep going. The inspiration to make the world a better place for her to live in as an adult. He wanted to teach her everything he knew. Looking up, he nodded. He already knew he would give his life for his kid.

"I think you're right. I'm going to make sure this is executed perfectly." He stood up. "Thanks Kennedy."

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Cutting their already ending conversation just a little bit shorter. Leon looked up, already knowing it was Gracie. He nodded and waved toward Chris before heading to the door. He turned the knob and opened it. There stood Gracie. She looked just as anyone would have imagined any sort of military or combat coach.

She was tall and bulky. Her arms were thick and riddled with scars. Her skin was tan and spotted from the sun over the years. Her ginger hair was streaked with gray and white. Her face was wrinkled just a bit. Her skin caved inwards where old cuts and scars rested on her flesh. She had a dark gray tank top, red handkerchief around her neck, a belt, and brown pants with her combat boots.

There was a case for arrows on her back, along with a bow on the other side. Her green eyes were sharp and alert, even despite her older age. Her lips were cracked and her hair was tied back into a high ponytail. She held her hand out. She had dark fingerless gloves that went up to her wrist. This was likely to,ptet her from calluses and help with grip on her weapons. Considering she was an archer.

"Hello. My name is Gracie Mauven. Though, you're going to know me as Coach Mauven. You're Leon Kennedy, I assume?" She asked, her voice gruff with a thick Irish accent.

"That would be correct. It's a pleasure to finally meet you, coach." He grabbed her hand and gave it a firm shake.

Gracie smiled at the tough shake. "You better be prepared. Regular old cop work is like a day in the Girl Scouts compared to what you're going to endure. I'll make a man out of you for sure, boy."

"You'd be surprised with the shit I've seen over the years. I'm not just any old cop. You can try to break me, but I can assure you a pleasant surprise." Leon snickered under his breath.

"Ha! Kid, I've been doing this for my entire life... don't expect me to be impressed by you. You'll be just another student under my belt. I won't remember your name by the end of it," She stood up straight. "Where's your training area?"

"Follow me." Leon didn't even respond to her first comments, heading out towards the back door and taking her through.

Gracie didn't say anything after that either. She followed after him to the training grounds. She set her hands on hips and took a look around at all the equipment. She clicked her tongue and gave a few slow nods as if she weren't super impressed by the grounds. Though, she looked back towards Leon, who had his arms crossed, leaning back casually.

"Well, this will have to do. It's nothing special, but you can't expect much from an at-home training station. What have you got, so far?"

"So far?"

"Yep. Come here. Show me your skills."

Gracie went and stood in the middle of the training grounds, she took off her bow and arrows and she kicked them off to the side towards a section of equipment. Then, she seemed to get into a fighting stance. Leon raised an eyebrow at her and took a few steps back, getting into a fighting position of his own.

"Ready, set, go." Gracie counted down.

Leon made the first move, lunging forward while he was bent down. He wrapped his arms around her waist, knees bent as he attempted to pick her up and throw her off her balance. However, she was in a stance where she didn't budge. Though, she had the advantage. She bent down over him, lifting him up and over her shoulder. Then she threw him over her shoulder, bashing him against the ground.

He grunted, though, he swiftly turned himself around and set his boot into the back of her knees. On que, her knee buckled and she stumbled. He took the advantage to grab her by the shoulders and drive his knee against her. With a gasp, she flinched and grabbed his leg, pulling up on him. This caused him to fall back into the dirt.

She held his leg still, keeping a hold of it while she planted her boot firmly on his chest. Leon snarled, trying to pull back his leg or break out of the hold. Though, he couldn't move. As if he was a turtle that was turned on his shell. Gracie smiled, counting down until she called the match over. She released his leg and helped him up.

"For your first shot, that wasn't bad. Above average compared to other first timer students. Consider it a pre-test. I'll have you fixed up in no time."

This was going to be a long and brutal while of training... wasn't it? Oh god.