Chapter 1: Prologue

It was night and Bushbaby was waiting for his father to return. He had spent the afternoon searching for a birthday present for him as he was able to fix his broken watch. All that in a day's work. But he couldn't hold back the feeling of uncertainty in his chest. The city had become less crowded and it made him wonder if something was happening. Something he didn't know about. But it didn't matter, he just wanted to spend a happy night with his father. He was expected to come home from work soon so he was just passing the time.

The sound of the door opening brought him back to reality as Badger had returned home. He looked tired. He was wearing his mechanic uniform, bright blue denim colours and dungarees. He was relived to see his son again, a warm smile on his face.

"You locked the door for once. Nice job, jungle boy" Badger contemplated as he ruffled the fur on his son's head. Bushbaby was smiling uncontrollably, thrilled to see his dad after a long, eventful day. He turned the television off.

"Yeah. It's ten..." Bushbaby muttered as Badger let his keys jangle in his pockets. Badger buried his tired eyes into his clawed hands. "I know" Badger grumbled. "We got the wrong engines for the Harely Davidsons we were working on..." Badger admitted, taking off his biker boots. Badger worked day and night at the carage, repairing motorcycles and bikes. He always had a passion for motors, had the knowledge on what gears go where and how to get them running. He worked as a mechanic everyday to make ends meet for him and Bushbaby. After a intense divorce from his wife, he and Bushbaby moved from London to Austin, Texas to start a new live. Badger always wanted that American dream. Then he met Robin and everything changed - he gave Badger his job and helped him care for Bushbaby. The redbreast was an intrigual part of his family and gave Badger the money he needed to raise his son. Badger was a single dad and he was grateful he had Robin, his best mate, to support him through all the hardships.

"Where's the cake?" Bushbaby asked, pure innocence in his words. Bushbaby made his father promise to him he'd get a birthday cake for him after work but he completely forgot because work screwed with his head. "Shit!" Badger swore, remembering the promise he failed to keep. Bushbaby groaned in disappointment.

"Come on, man. You promised...."

"I'll get us one tomorrow"

"Swear, or you don't get your present!"

Badger's face perked up in suprise. A present.

"You got me a present?" Badger questioned.

"Swear!" Bushbaby demanded. Seeing his perseverance made Badger smile.

"On my life" Badger vowed, arms folded in a relaxed manner. Bushbaby stretched his hand out to the back of the couch and retrieved his present, wrapped up in red. He opened it to reveal a silver box, made with care by a clock maker.

"Wow!" Badger chuckled, hyped up by his present. It was his broken watch, repaired for him with care. Bushbaby looked proud of it most of all. "I fixed it for you" Bushbaby muttered as Badger took it gently out of the box and placed it to his ear. The sound of its ticking making his heart exhilarated.

"My god, it's good as new. Where'd you get the money for this!?" Badger asked, holding the watch in his hands like it was the best gift he'd ever gotten. He began to wrap it around his left wrist. Bushbaby smiled joyfully.

"Drugs. I sell hardcore drugs" Bushbaby said, sarcasm in his voice.

"It's better than what I do"

"It was only twenty dollars which I stole from you." Bushbaby admitted. Badger couldn't help but smile at how smart his little boy was.

"I could have stolen sixty, but I put the change back because I'm a honest thief. Besides, it's the thought that counts. And you were never gonna do it yourself so..." Bushbaby defended. Badger was grateful at the present his son gave him, nothing but thrilled at how kind and thoughtful he was.