Short Story

Finding myself shivering I slowly open my eyes to the bright sunlight streaming into my room, more like cell if you ask me. But that's just it, no one ever does. No one ever listens, I think bitterly to myself.

Blinking rapidly as my eyes adjust I stand up, feeling a lightness I haven't felt in a long time. Looking to my wrists I smile as I notice my hands are no longer held by the jacket they put me in to "Prevent me from hurting myself." Walking to the window I feel my foot land in something cold, wet, and sticky. Looking to see what I stepped in I see my pale skin painted in a thick red liquid. Eyes traveling back to the source I see a young woman lying face down in the puddle, her too thin body curled in on itself as if she were convulsing during the time of passing.

Long brown hair covers her body, and rolling her onto her back I gasp and cover my mouth, a scream locked in my throat. Cold, lifeless hazel eyes stare back at me with an almost pleading look to them and I feel tears sting my eyes. Looking at this girl I realise I know her better than she knew herself, because I am her. Hesitantly I close her- my- eyes, and walk around the room, noticing that it in fact was not my room, but something bare and not lived in, with bars covering the window.

Wrapping my arms around myself I open the cell door, to find my hand completely phasing through it. Frowning I try reaching my arm through, and feel a breeze on the other side. Knowing I can finally leave this horrible place I take one last look at my body, lying more composed since I moved her, and take a deep breath before stepping through the barrier into the hallway.

Walking down the empty halls I notice a few others like me, looking at me sadly.

"I told you to hide it. To pretend. Now look what they did to you." An old woman who seems to flicker insubstantially says to me before turning and disappearing through the wall behind her.

Remembering the waves of high voltage running through my body I repress a shudder. I guess my body couldn't take the shock therapy anymore.

Moving to follow her I feel myself drawn short as I hear familiar voices, and become drawn to the noise. Stepping into an ill light reception area I see my family, surrounded by doctors. A look of grief is on my mother's face, while my father is standing like a stone, his arm held rigidly around her sobbing shoulders. Soft words of consolation find my ears, but are overshadowed by the sounds of sobbing.

Turning, I see my younger sister clutching an old hand made doll to her chest, it's blue flower shown as her face is buried in the soft cloth. Beside her is an old worn suitcase with small collectibles I remember her and I gathering when I was smaller, before they put me here. The Willard Psychiatric center. I can't even think the name without feeling a seething hatred for the place. I wish I could have seen you burn.

Sighing I kneel beside her and place a hand on her shaking shoulders, something I did often when she was upset. Startled, her bright hazel eyes look up into my own.

"Sara?" She says softly, eyes widening in shock. My own panic begins to course through me and I cover her mouth with my hand, an iron fist taking hold of my heart.

"Don't ever tell anyone what you saw, what you can see. Please. Don't ever let anyone know. Or you'll become like me."