A Coil of Ribbons and Bonds

Gwyn is alphabetizing some books in the back room of the library when she hears giggling coming from a few other females right outside of the room. Her curiosity gets the best of her, and she sneaks around the bookshelves so she can hear more clearly.

Annie, Elysia, and Thistle. These three females visit the library at least once a week.

"Did you see him speaking to Clotho earlier? I cannot believe he is the only unmated male in the Inner Circle", Annie muses.

Elysia nods. "Shockingly. As much as the other two are admittedly sexy, the quiet ones are always the sexiest. Plus, he's a shadowsinger. Can you imagine what he can do with those things?"

Thistle giggles again and her iridescent wings flutter. "Gods, you can tell he is the best in bed. Dark and broody, quiet, mysterious, and have you seen how agile he is with those knives of his? Definitely kinky. What I'd do for a piece of that", she shudders, and the other girls laugh.

Gwyn can feel her face heat and searing anger boil in her gut. They're talking about Azriel. Her Azriel. Well...not her Azriel. She holds back a grunt of annoyance and goes to turn back to work until she hears one of them pipe up again.

"Too bad he's hardly ever around. But I heard through the grapevine that they're planning on going to Rita's tonight. I don't know about you two, but suddenly I have plans this evening", Annie smirks.

Gwyn's stomach drops and tears prick her eyes. They're going to look gorgeous too, pulling out all the stops. Any male in their right mind would notice them. Her shoulders droop and she continues her work, blinking the way the tears that blur her vision.

"You're the new ribbon, Az." She can hear Nesta playfully taunting. Not just him, but her as well. Because she was right. She had tried and tried for months to cut that ribbon. But has she ever really tried to gain Azriel's affections? Did she ever think that her stupid crush could become something? How come she can believe in herself when it comes to training but not relationships? She took the plunge with Nesta, so why not with Az?

Nesta was right. There is nothing more she would love than for Azriel to be her prize for being courageous. For putting herself out there. It seems so easy to banter with him when it's unexpected. But can she pull off a plan?

The females soon take their leave from where they were standing and Gwyn slouches into one of the tiny aisle benches, covering her face. She has been wrestling with herself lately. The part of her that won't release all her guilt and self-consciousness refuses to let her venture out for long periods of time or in front of crowds, but her newfound bravery that allowed her to become a Valkyrie craves more independence. It nearly paralyzes her some days trying to decide which to lean into.

Wiping the tears from her cheeks with the back of her hand, she pulls herself up and continues her work, thoughts flurrying around in her mind for the rest of her shift. Climbing a level, she approaches Clotho's desk and leans on it, as she turns in her employee card for the day.

Clotho's pen immediately begins to write on the notepad in front of her, and Gwyn takes a deep breath, peeking at it.

{The Shadowsinger was here earlier. I think he was hoping to bump into you as he usually does.}

Gwyn scoffs and looks down a bit. "I'm sure it was simply official business."

The pen floats across the paper again, golden magic glittering in its wake. {Funny, he couldn't seem to remember what business the High Lord needed to be done here. I've never known him to have a spotty memory, especially as a spymaster.}