Onward Through Day and Night (Summer 6)

VI.

Elise looked at Madoka as if she saw an apparition float through the front door. She was soaked. "Madoka?!"

"Get. The. Healers," Madoka breathed as she clutched her bloody hand, feeling the sting finally inflicting her palm. Elise took the hint and ran with her to the soldiers.

"Ah, Madoka," Elise scolded her as the healer channeled into a strange object. Her eyes glowed as odd green strings of mana wrapped around her hand, sealing it as if it wasn't cut by a blade. They were mesmerizing and beautiful. "You need to stop making me worried!"

"Sorry, princess," Madoka hung her head. They were out in the hallway while Princess Fiara paced. Only a scar remained on her palm. Of the many that marred her hand, this one was the deepest. Elise held it up, inspecting it.

"This scar..." She looked at it, rubbing her hand. "Were you attacked?"

"N-No," Madoka lied. In truth, she was not sure if she fought an illusion brought on by her delirium or simply hurt herself breaking the rock formations. "I merely hurt myself by breaking those rocks."

Elise squeezed her hand. The tattoo was on her wrist, but slithered back up her forearm when Madoka noticed it. Her eyes lit up.

"You broke them?" She said excitedly.

"Yes, Elise," Madoka said. Although I was almost broken myself, she thought. "It is done."

"Well, woohoo!" She jumped up. Madoka was too exhausted to discipline the princess from making noise this late. "We can discuss what to do next since it's still night. You're crazy, Madoka!"

After the visit with the healer, Elise promptly sent her to her chambers and forbade her from leaving until the following morning when she got her. Madoka sighed in her bed. It was rare that the princess had a reason to scold her - she must be holding it over her head because of that. A small smile crept over Madoka, for she knew even if she fought an illusion her promise and willpower prevailed. A small victory that would etch itself in her mind.

Then she pictured the princess looking serious for once in her mind and she giggled quietly to herself. The princess was never so serious before and her scowl looked so silly. Perhaps she should be more mischievous just to see her be serious more often.

She dreamed good dreams that night, instead of having the usual nightmares of nobles.

"Good morning, sunshine!" Elise's voice came through Madoka's dreams to her. Madoka yawned, to see the princess smiling, sitting at the edge of her bed. She was dressed for the outdoors. Another maid must have attended her. Her carelessness frustrated her, for Madoka should have gotten to the princess first. "I have some good news. But first! Your hand!"

"Good morning," Madoka's voice dragged. "Don't you worry about my hand, princess."

"Bah! Nae waah!" Elise took her hand from under the sheets. She inspected it some more. "What an odd scar, it's almost like you withstood a strike with a sword."

"Can't say. I think I had a nightmare last night," Madoka was being truthful. "The formations are gone though."

"Hmm," the princess contemplated. "Yes, it is time to see Lord Zeron."

Madoka wanted to collapse back on the pillow.

"I thought you said 'good news,'" Madoka complained.

"It IS good news," Elise jumped up. "He is officially giving us the chance to do some exploring outdoors! And YOU get to ride a horse... with me of course."

Madoka failed to see anything good about riding a horse with her. Especially when her strength is considerably higher than the last time they did so. She worried for her arms this time around.