Part 1

7/25/23 - Fixed typos and wording. Added and changed some things so it's cleaner. Thank you for reading!

_________________________________

On top of a high elevated cliff, stood Akaza staring up at the dusty night sky. Breeze drifted strongly through the air, uneven in direction. It ruffled his hair and played with his clothes. As a final touch, it tugged at his vest causing it to fly open and stick to his arms. It vanished quickly before anything could be done about its mess. The crescent moon, forever present, smiled down at him providing all the light it could possibly muster behind all the gray clouds accompanying it.

In a matter of weeks, the weather had begun to shift to introduce the upcoming winter season. Temperatures lowered and lowered and will continue to drop as days pass on. Nature's green faded slowly, soon to be completely sucked out and painted in white. Humans and animals have been disappearing and only out when absolutely necessary. There wasn't much to do in the coldest and most dangerous time of the year. While it is still early, it is the best time to prepare and pray. Demons, on the other hand, do not have to worry about such problems. But what all three living beings have in common is the need for food. Winter does not spare or show mercy to anything.

Despite the ugliness of the freezing, harsh conditions, there is a unique beauty to the season that cannot be seen in others. If you can find it, that is.

As biting as the cold is, a little ice was nothing a demon like Akaza couldn't handle, even with his highly revealing outfit. After all, he's lived through all types of weather conditions for more than a century.

From up above, he could see the tops of the infinite amount of trees that seem to extend as far as his sharp eyes could perceive, gathered together. The slim, snake-like river that split the forest in half had long since stilled. The forest, despite being so large with every space of land filled, looked vast and empty.

For once he was grateful for the tranquility and silence. It's rare for him to be still even if he has all the time in the world. Not when he could be out there perfecting his technique and of course, fighting demon hunters, and of course, finding the flower his leader is so adamant on getting his hands on.

Only a few nights ago, was quite an eventful night. It was the most thrilling time he's had in a while. Too bad things didn't end up according to plans. Maybe he shouldn't have been playing around too much. But then again, he came across a skilled swordsman with a high spirit that Akaza couldn't resist on taking advantage of. Hashira aren't easy to come across.

The demon sighed, his breath icy and dispelling into the air like smoke. Akaza sat down on the edge of the cliff with his legs dangling in the air. He outstretched his arms behind him and leaned back. His head turned upward toward the sky, not looking at anything in particular. There wasn't really anything to look at anyway besides gray.

His eyes shut to rest.

Surely nothing can happen at this hour, weather, or place at this moment. At least for an hour or so, he can sleep off the tension from that recent night.

...

...

...

A tall individual walked out of the darkness of the forest and up the cliff. Their movements blended perfectly with the quiet environment. Not that they were trying to be, in fact, it was the opposite. A smile quirked upon his lips when his colorful eyes settled on the form of the demon resting on the edge. They came to a stop a few steps behind Akaza.

Akaza was fully aware of the intruder of his peace. There is no one else that has that grating, persistent presence. He contemplated whether or not he should ignore him. It wouldn't have any effect, but it's not like he owes the guy his time even if he's not doing anything at the moment.