01.01 - the beginning

CHAPTER ONE
—— the beginning

        CHAPTER ONE —— the beginning

[ season two, episode one & two ]

THE ONLY THING Cassiopeia Novak could think about was that gut-wrenching scream.

It happened in a nightmare. At least that's what she kept telling herself. It might've just been her mind playing tricks on her as a result of sleep deprivation or stress but Casey could've sworn she was still awake when she heard it. That couldn't have been possible though. She was alone, in her bedroom surrounded by mountains of cardboard boxes.

Casey wanted to stop thinking about it. She kept hearing the scream, over and over again, echoing around her head. As she often did, she was obsessing over something irrelevant and insignificant, but she couldn't get it to go away.

"You okay?" her mother asked, fidgeting with the layout of the mug cabinet, officially having unpacked the last of the boxes labeled 'kitchen.'

"Hmm?" Casey hummed, looking up from a spot on the counter and taking a bite of her apple.

They had been living in Beacon Hills for almost two weeks now and Casey still had yet to finish–or really even start–unpacking. Her room decor currently consisted of a bookshelf with one singular book (a worn-out copy of The Fellowship of the Ring), a pile of journals dating back as far as she could remember, a windowsill of various plants, and a dozen cardboard boxes forming small hills on her floor. Unpacking meant accepting that Beacon Hills was their new home and she couldn't quite bring herself to do that yet.

"I asked if you were okay," repeated her mother.

Casey simply nodded with a small smile which was good enough. There was no reason to make her mom start worrying.

     After a minute, Casey brought her head up again, breaking the comfortable morning silence that had settled over the kitchen. "What if I just didn't go to school today? Or even for like the next few weeks? Maybe a year?"

     "Is this your way of implying that you want to be grounded for eternity?"

     "If it means I don't have to go to school then yes, please ground me."

     Alexandria looked at her daughter with a raised brow, "you said it wasn't bad last week."

     "Just because it wasn't bad doesn't mean it was good," Casey mumbled, tossing the apple core into the trash can from where she sat.

     "Impressive," Alexandria deadpanned, clearly not impressed by her daughter's antics, "You could try...I don't know...making some friends."

     Casey scrunched her face up and shook her head. "Nope. I'm good."