Chapter Three

Three Days had past since they had been attacked and escaped the CSL. They traveled for days on end, their feet were callused and sore, they called taxis whenever it was possible, but they trudged along roads, rented bikes, golf carts, cars, and continued to travel on. By the time they reached Louisiana they were running low on money, they had to find a way to get back to Florida and quick, before they ran out of money to keep them stable. " How much do we have Steve?" Cynthia asked Steven who was focused on driving and not crashing their rental car. " Well last time I checked we had about one hundred and twenty three dollars, most of the money we had before was lost renting this car. We have enough for food for the next couple of days, we should be able to make it." Steven's fiscal report was seemingly legitimate compared to his early reports of relative amounts and estimations. " What is this guy doing?" Steven questioned. The man's car swerved and spun on the road smashing against the embankment and causing sparks and scratching his car. " This man has got to be drunk." Steven said still flabbergasted at this man's lack of driving skill. The man spun closer and closer to their rental car. " Steve! Watch out!" Cynthia grabbed Steven's leg and prayed hoping that they would not be hit and possibly killed by a drunk driver. Suddenly the car flew backwards, defying most of what Steven knew about physics and smashed into their rental car.

Steven and Cynthia both came out of the overturned car alive. Steven had broken his arm but he tried to avoid showing any weakness to Cynthia because he didn't want her to worry for him. Steven looked dazed, he had suffered a concussion, a broken arm, and the shock of a car accident, but still managed to crawl out and stand on his own two feet. Steven muttered. His thoughts were discombobulated and uncontrolled. He couldn't comprehend what had happened. He just knew this would hinder their plans. He thought it could seriously harm their possibilities of making it home. The flashing lights of the ambulances and police around him was becoming blinding, he couldn't separate the sun light from the flashing colors around him. Steven slowly began to lose his grip on reality, and pain began to over take him. " I can't take it!" Steven screamed with his hand over his ear. Steven passed out then and there and the medics rushed out, picked him up and took him to the hospital with Cynthia sitting right beside him.  

"Be strong my love, I will need you now and forever more." Cynthia said kissing his beaten and bruised forehead.

Cynthia sat next to Steven after they had treated his arm, given him a CAT scan and let him rest. She called his mother who she knew deep in her heart would be in distress. Cynthia swiped her phone off of the table and dialed Steven's mother. She picked up the phone nearly instantly. Samantha's voice was filled with stress and confusion. " Is my son alive! You better not have hurt my son or you will not see the morning son!" Samantha was angry. She loved her son just as much as Cynthia did. " Steve is alive, but we were in a car accident on the way back home, he broke his arm and has a concussion." Samantha snapped back quickly like a cobra. " You hurt my son!" Cynthia quickly became infuriated. " You think I would hurt your son! I love Steven almost as much as you do! I would never hurt him!" Samantha sighed and Cynthia began to pray that she wouldn't be angry with her. Cynthia always liked Samantha. She acted like her mother before she became hysterical. " Well Cynthia, I will be coming to see my baby. And I will be taking you two to my house to rest. He will want you there when he wakes up or he will never get better." Cynthia agreed with Samantha. Whenever Steven had any form of sickness he would always call Cynthia, and she would always stay with him. But because of this she began to catch his sicknesses and the favor was quickly returned. " Well goodbye Cynthia, sorry for my outburst. I will be there soon." Samantha said. She hung up the phone and Cynthia sat down and rested her head onto Steven's sleeping chest. " It'll be just like old times, I'll stay by your side until you're better, no matter how long it takes."

Steven returned to his childhood home at a time, which he determined to be the day that changed his thoughts, his childhood and his hopes and dreams. Samantha held a gun towards his fool of a father. She had bought the gun to get him out of their home. " Get out of our house. You aren't welcome here anymore. Now leave or there will be a bullet in your skull and blood on our nice walls." Stevens father looked terrified, he had no power against her anymore. He walked out of the house with his head down in shame. He stopped next to Steven and kneeled down. " Steven, I am sorry. I should have never hurt you. Maybe one day you will forgive me. Goodbye." Steven looked his father dead in the eyes. Although he was only five at the time he knew what hatred felt like. " No dad, I can never forgive you. Now leave." Steven said strongly. Why did I do this? Why couldn't I forgive him? Steven thought to himself. He had regreted the decisions he made then. Were they decisions at all? When his brain seeped into a slipping anger, the linchpin of his sanity fell out causing him to fall into a dark place he never wanted to be in. For his entire life he made these mistakes, these horrible decisions, but he had hoped and prayed that maybe one day all of them would come to an end. Maybe he would find a higher cause, a higher purpose, a love. Suddenly a shaking feeling over took him. He was dreaming, this couldn’t have been an earthquake. “ Cynthia!” He shouted. He knew it must be her, what had happened? His breath became short and he began to sweat. “Sweating? In a dream?” He thought to himself. He was sure this wasn’t possible. “ Wake up Steve! Wake up!” The voice was familiar but his ears began to ring and light began to over take his vision. This was the end. The shaking became more violent, but his body was unresponsive. “ Why can’t I wake up?” He thought to himself. His brain scrambled to find an explanation. His chest began to feel compressed, and he could feel a mouth go over his. “ Steven! I need you to wake up!!” The voice yelled. “Please don’t die on me Steve. Please don’t..” The voice muttered. It began to weaken and sound hoarse. He began to weaken and slowly began to let go. “ This is the end.”