Chapter 4

(This has 10k words, as much as I like long and descriptive chapters, I hate writing them because it takes too long. I might limit myself to prevent this from happening in the future. Stories gotta progress.)

WARNING: Explicit chapter (as you might have already known)

Arlo was surprised that John decided to show up, still wearing his oversized dress shirt without his ocean-coloured jacket on. It was surprisingly cute on him, just slightly too large for him. Nonetheless, Arlo welcomes John's arrival and he leads him inside the library, giving an iconic smile to the librarian as he introduces both his and John's purpose for being there.

"I'm afraid I can't let you two stay. There's still a bunch of work to do, as you can see, it's quite a mess in here. It can be quite hazardous." She let out an exhausted sigh, "There were supposed to be some students that were supposed to help me move the furniture, but it seems like they're running late." Just as John looked over at Arlo for his answer, he noticed his eyes widen as though he spotted a loophole, and he spoke in a tone so soft that it was nearly lulling.

"We can help. We don't have any plans after school, and John here," He gestured in his direction, to which he nodded as greeting. "Could start getting some volunteer hours."

"Would you really be able to?"

Arlo gave his reassuring smile once again and nodded confidently, "Of course we can. A couple extra hours can't hurt my resume." Arlo huffed a small laugh, "Plus, you're probably exhausted from working all week. These students have such large egos after all, so they're bound to be a handful of trouble."

The blond and the librarian seemed to be on good terms and Arlo might have had many of these friendly chats with all the staff members in this school. No wonder he's constantly so lax, it's because he knows his environment well and is on good terms with everyone here. The librarian also laughs and jokingly agrees. John could see consideration forming in her tired eyes, through the curly mess of green hair.

"Anyways, we could help you set up the books or arrange tables and whatnot, and then I need to help John study for an upcoming test." He says, glancing back at John as he nods in agreement, despite not mentioning anything of the sort beforehand. This was probably a lie Arlo pulls to get things his way, he's so... cunning and charismatic.

"I see... are you his tutor?"

John glances at Arlo as he grins, "Nah, I'm just a friend who wants to help him. Right?" And he nods along with a bit of hesitation.

She appears to think for a moment, "Hmm, well then..." She mutters, pupils flickering up to Arlos with a solution in mind. "Oh! We do have a small storage room where you two can study for the time being, while I work out some arrangement plan with the students. If you both want, you can join in and help at any time. It might get a little noisy in here, is that okay?"

"That's fine." Arlo says, "It's awkward if it becomes too silent."

The librarian beams and walks around her desk, her heeled shoes clicking against the glossy wooden floor. "Follow me. I'll try and make some space for you two in there." She says as she then leads the two of them toward the back, where this supposed closet was located.

Arlo gives John a small celebratory smile as they trail after her. They only walk for a moment before she opens the door to a concealed room just hidden behind some boxes, and leads them inside. Stacks of old books tucked into shelves, wires that lay useless, stored chairs stacked on top of one another for events, and some cleaning supplies tucked neatly in their respective cupboards. It's quite messy in here, amongst the stacks of paper and books, but there is a small table in the center of the room that's cleared of cluster. There are no windows, John notices, and the light had to be turned on with a switch located just beside the door.