2: The Delinquent Charity Case

Chapter Two:
The Delinquent Charity Case

~

The car halted in the roundabout driveway, cutting off the soothing airflow that was streaming through the open window, that was now automatically winding itself up.

The house was magnificent.

An alabaster white exterior, two storeys high with a dark slated roof and a portico that consisted of four Greek columns and a traditional Egyptian-blue front door with side glass.

I admired the house after we had exited the vehicle and I take in my temporary home for the summer.

"You can leave your things in the car, the driver will carry them up for you." Amanda said, watching me as I observed her family home.

"It's a very nice home." I commented.

"Your Mom should have never moved away." Her voice was soft and laced with nostalgia.

I wonder what had happened to make my mom want to move away to the other side of the country. Did they have a falling-out? Honestly, what could possibly be the reason for my mother having never mentioned that I had godparents.

"She was my best friend, you know. So was your father." She says.

That struck a heartstring. Another person my mother had failed to tell me all about, my father, apart from the obvious fact that he is dead.

"You knew my dad?" I asked her.

Maybe she could tell me about him? I thought to myself.

She nodded, sniffling before wiping away tears before they had a chance to form. "Sorry, being pregnant sucks. Don't recommend it."

I chuckled, taking in a deep breath.

"Let's go and meet everyone, shall we?" She rubbed my left shoulder, nudging me towards the front door.

Mind you, I was still majorly hungover when I followed my all-of-a-sudden godmother into her fancy ass mansion to meet her rich ass husband and her no-doubt spoiled sextuplets.

Amanda opened the front door, revealing a large marble statue standing in the grand foyer. I'm a stickler for observation. My eyes had already scanned the foyer, jotting down details in my mind for no apparent reason whatsoever.

White porcelain slabs tiled the floor. Glistening overhead was an exquisite crystal chandelier that trickled down, and the marble statue that stood directly beneath it was fashioned to be Hera, Queen of the Gods and wife to Zeus. She was more than that, though. Hera was the Goddess of Marriage, women and family, and the guardian of mothers during childbirth—Another fun fact about me, I am fascinated by Greek mythology. I didn't have to ponder on it to know that this particular choice of foyer decorum was chosen by Amanda.

It felt as though I had just entered a museum of some kind.

"Welcome to Easton Manor."

Wow. I was astonished.

The apartment back in New York had nothing on this. Sure, it overlooked Central Park and had far too much space for two occupants—well, one full-time occupant and one part-time one.