prologue: welcome to cross duel

a/n: welcome to the first official chapter. i honestly have no idea what i'm doing by the way i'm just going with the flow. but hey! if you all like what you're reading so far, feel free to stick around! 

.

.

.

.

(3rd person POV)

it was a seemingly ordinary day. three friends were at the park playing a co-op game. if you walked by them, you could see that they were really into the game. as seconds became minutes, the three ended their game as one of them stood up and stretched. 

"that was a good run lori. i'm surprised you survived for that long." 

lori slightly whined, "i'm not good with this sort of thing you know this mari-chan."

y/n chuckled, "well, at least you didn't chicken out the first time we played this game." 

"hey, that was one time." mari retorted at y/n. 

the three laughed as they walked over to y/n's house to stay for the night. after a nice dinner, they all went to y/n's room. 

mari looked at the two, "hey, do you know that new yu-gi-oh game on mobile?" 

y/n perked up, "oh! cross duel? i've seen it but never gotten around to trying it out." 

"well, do you guys want to try it together? it's been so long since i played yu-gi-oh." 

lori and y/n looked at each other before instantly going to their devices and downloading the game. after they downloaded the game and downloaded the resources, they were on their way to the tutorial. 

mari snickered at her screen, "it's been a while since I heard kaiba's English voice."

"you're too obsessed with the Japanese voices mari." y/n said as they were focused on the tutorial. 

"hey, it's not my fault that they're good okay?" 

"sure whatever you say." 

this went on for a few more minutes before everyone finished the tutorial. it was time to pick their ace monster. 

"what are you guys picking?" lori asked, a bit confused. 

"i'll be picking number 17: leviathan dragon." mari said. 

y/n snickered, "isn't that shark's ace?" 

"man shut up y/n," she said before glancing away. 

y/n sticks their tongue out at mari before glancing at lori's screen, "stuck?"

"mmm yeah, I don't want to copy mari-hime." 

"you know you can always choose yami's ace, the dark magician." mari spoke, breaking the silence. 

lori's face glowed bright red as she whined, "m-mari-hime!!"

"i am not wrong." she said nonchalantly. "now come on, let's start the game up so we can exchange friend codes!"