Chapter Twelve

Sana is currently sitting on her bed, her back against the headboard. She hugged her knees close to her chest. And because she was bored, she decided to reach for the picture frame located on the bedside table. Sana's eyes welled up when she touched the image of her father carrying her when she was a child.

The photograph was taken at a popular amusement park near the old town where they used to reside. Back when everything was normal, her father would very often tell her that he would one day take her back to that place. But he was a busy man, trying to work tirelessly for his daughter's needs as a single parent, so they didn't have much free time to bond and make up for lost time as a family. Then there were the unfortunate events which made Sana and her father's life a complete misery.

Sana's dreams were tormented by the night he was arrested and forcibly taken while having dinner inside their small house. She couldn't get her father's innocent expression off her mind as he was being dragged by the police. What she despised the most about that situation was how none of them showed mercy, tearing at the old man's shirt as if he weren't human.

"F*ck all of them," Sana said to herself as she replayed that night in her head. She wiped a tear from her cheek before returning the photo frame to its rightful place. "I'm going to get you out of there any way I can; I'll show everyone wrong, dad," she murmured, "That's a promise."

"Are you awake, Sana?" a voice from behind the door questioned, followed by two faint knocks.

Sana calmed herself by breathing in and out before rising from her position on the bed. She wiped the tears from her eyes, hoping her aunt wouldn't see the pain in her eyes this time. It was only that Sana predicted that her sadness would have the same effect on her aunt and uncle. She is aware that the couple is going through a lot on their own, and there is no way she would want to add to that.

"Your uncle has already returned home, and he has some good news for you," the woman explained. "Come down if you're awake, okay?"

The woman was about to turn away from the locked door into Sana's room when it opened, displaying the younger woman with a slight smile on her face. "Ah, it's good that you're still awake," Sayuri murmured, gently touching the side of Sana's face. "Are you okay?" she had to inquire first.

"I'm well, auntie," Sana replied, immediately averting her sight from the other's. She was afraid that looking into it for too long would make Sayuri notice that she had cried again. "Uncle is downstairs?" Sana asked, hoping to avoid a close-up conversation.

But then Sayuri saw her grow and mature into the lady she is today. That is why she could never truly hide from the woman. Sayuri notices when Sana isn't feeling well, but she wouldn't compel the younger one to open up at this moment. "He's waiting for us," she said simply. "Let's go," she remarked as she led the way down. "Watch your steps, okay?"

Shirou sat on the couch, shaking one leg, patiently waiting for the two to come down. He could hear their voices from upstairs and knew Sana would join them. "It's worth it," Shirou said quietly to himself, his gaze drawn to the duffle bag beside him.

"Sana's here," Sayuri murmured as she took the final step down the stairs. Sana walked behind her, her eyebrows arched, wondering what this was all about. "You're lucky she's awake at this hour," the woman commented.

"How are you feeling, sweetie?" Shirou inquired, rather concernedly looking at Sana. "You couldn't sleep?"

Sana held her nape, trying to think of an excuse. "I finished something," she said with a smile. "So, I haven't really tried to sleep yet," she explained as she followed Sayuri to the couch. "Auntie told me you had good news?"

Shirou only smiled and nodded when he heard that. He seemed to be prepared to deliver some exciting news to the two. "Yes, that's why I wanted you to hear it as well," he explained.