v. an unknown mistake to be made

- "why'd you ask me that?" elodie queried, appearing behind the door of ethan's locker

- "why'd you ask me that?" elodie queried, appearing behind the door of ethan's locker. un-startled, he sighed and leaned against it.

"it was a reasonable question. you're just leading me on, aren't you? cause it's so fucking funny and entertaining to mess with somebody who can — i've been telling you for years, i can treat —"

"you don't know what you're talking about, ethan. me and aiden are not back together." elodie sneered aggressively, fed up with his complaining.

"so then answer my question. do you? or do you not?" ethan scoffed gloomily. "ethan..." elodie huffed, exhausted, "i can't."

"there. that's all i needed to know." ethan flashed a very fake smile without trying to hide it at all.

he attempted to walk away and end it there, but elodie stopped him by snatching his sleeve and bringing him back. "but i do, too, that's the thing." she added.

ethan opened his mouth to speak, but elodie cut him off. "now isn't the place to talk about it. if it turns out you actually like me, or the other way around, i don't want to find out here." she stated.

"call me later." elodie suggested before leaving again to find chad, as she had left him a whole class ago.

ethan nearly responded until cut off by chad. "have you seen elodie?" he asked her, hating the idea of talking to ethan because of how apparently "close" they were now.

"she just went looking for you." told ethan, nudging his head in the direction she left to.

"why was she talking to you?" chad wondered, and ethan furrowed his brows, confused by the sudden attitude. "why don't you ask her?" ethan rolled his eyes, annoyed before he walked away.

LATER THAT DAY

elodie's phone rang, and she was already expecting ethan's call. she answered it, hesitantly. "hey." they both said in sync.

"what's there to talk about? it's really a yes or no answer, elodie." ethan huffed, exhausted because for two years straight, he's been fighting to be the one she might give a chance and he's just so close.

elodie walked over to her window, where she could look through the glass and see ethan's room. once again, he seemed to already be looking over to her room as well.

"obsessed much. you must love looking at my room, huh?" elodie joked to put an end to the awkwardness.

she could see ethan tilt his head, looking at her a certain look that couldn't be explained.
"ethan, it's been two whole years. why don't you give me up?" elodie breathed out, her brows raising.

"i'm so close now, what's the point? if i give up now, then you'll remember how embarrassing it was for me to feel something for you, and we'd never be the same again."