An Excursion Marks the Heart (Summer 8)

VIII.

"Hup! Ow!"

The princess was not quick enough to dodge most of Madoka's simple strikes. She has shown Elise how to dodge most attacks and anticipate them though she simply claimed she was not coordinated enough. Madoka knew that with more practice and pain the princess could learn a few Cherish sword style movements. She could use them in the future, Madoka figured.

"It's not fair!" she whines, as Madoka bats her side with her wooden sword. "Ach! I chose to be a support mage for my character job class! Ach!"

"I'm not hitting you that hard," Madoka sighed. "Or going as fast as I could be."

"What did you say to me?"

"Nothing, Elise," Madoka feinted a strike to Elise's right side, but tripped her with a sweeping kick instead. She toppled over like a crumbling wall of variegated bricks.

"N-Now that was just cheap," the princess dusted herself off. She once again refused to accept Madoka's hand to help her up.

"Don't be mad at me," Madoka closed her eyes. "This was your idea."

"I know, I know," the princess got back up.

"Dodge like this. Learn my reach," Madoka demonstrated, pivoting herself with her feet. "You've seen me do this many times while using your magic on me."

"You just want revenge!" the princess scoffed.

"Well, it's easy to get right now," Madoka teased.

"You!"

A water beam shot at her, but Madoka blocked it with her wooden sword. Elise shook her head.

"A shame I can't just use magic in this training," the princess sighed. "I could probably test it later but you know why I won't for now."

"Basics," Madoka guessed aloud. "For what it's worth, princess, you're getting better."

"Bah!" Elise focused on her feet and muttered something.

The birds above were circling above them. Their thoughts were carefree. It was a hot day for training, Madoka thought. She will wash the princess off tonight.

"Madoka?" Elise was asking Madoka something. "You here?"

"Oh, sorry," Madoka wiped some sweat off her forehead. "It's quite warm out today, isn't it?"

"Right?" Elise agreed. "We could go to the lake!"

"That will have to wait until your training is done," Madoka chastised her. The princess sulked.

"Nae waah," she whined. "Now I know what training under Uncle Leo is like."

The name made Madoka pause again, her attack stopping right at the princess's ankle. Elise jumped over it anyways.

"Lord Leopride," Madoka trailed off. She has not forgotten the duel between the two, though she was not sure if it was real or not. She assumed that the duel was not real though the scar on her palm was. "Is he still here?"

"What about him?" Elise looked puzzled for a moment. "Of course he's around."

"Ah," Madoka contemplated it for a moment. "Will he return soon?"

Elise stuck her hands to her waist and scrutinized Madoka. Was that jealousy on her face? Madoka could not guess why.

"Why are you asking for him?" Elise asked with a frown. Madoka resisted the urge to look at her scar and instead looked away. Elise was muttering something, but Madoka could hear her. "Hmph! I'll show you I'm better."