Chapter 12: moment of truth

( this is a first and only chapter where things will be in Sero's POV!! hope you enjoy🤭 )

(Sero POV) 

"what's all this commotion about?"I asked Jirou, attempting to get Kaminari and her to stop laughing together. 

 She happily said, "See what Kami got for me!" as she held up a teddy bear that was just right for her. 

 My heart ached with jealousy, but I did my best to hide it as I shared her joy at receiving a present from my frenemy, Kaminari.

He won this match but I know I wont let him win overall.

He consistently succeeds in getting what he wants, and of course, the one time I  truly like a girl, he does too.

I need to ask Jirou out today or else I will not stand a chance anymore.

***

we finally left the arcade and I suggested to go to the café that was just around the corner from our dorms. 

They both agreed and we started walking. 

Both of them didn't know I had a whole plan underway. 

I was good friends with the barista there and I had asked him to put something in Kaminari's drink so he would have to go to the bathroom. 

when he does, ill have some alone time with Jirou which was perfect. That's when I will do it. 

We all sat down in our seats as we walked in, with a bit of a squabble over who would take the sofa (Jirou was on the sofa), and when Kaminari won yet again, I let it slide because I knew he wouldn't be there for long anyways. 

A server arrived and handed us the menu and we started browsing the options. 

"Oooh the blueberry frappe looks so nice but omg I also want the mocha , I don't know what to choose!!" Jirou discussed. 

I knew what I had to do to help Jirou out.

"You know what, ill order the mocha and you order the blueberry frappe that way you can taste both" 

"I DID NOT THINK OF THAT, Sero, you're a lifesaver," she thanked me, and while she did, I grinned widely, most of it aimed at Kaminari.

When the drinks arrived, I looked at my barista friend, who winked knowing he'd done the deed.

Now all I had to do was wait.

I obviously shared some of my mocha with Jirou, who enthusiastically drank from it, and Kaminari threw me a frown.

He asked Jirou if she wanted to test his latte, but thankfully she politely rejected. 

After a few minutes, Kaminari's face became paler; it was clear he needed to go the restroom but was hanging on for dear life, most likely because he didn't want to leave us alone. However, he quickly gave in to his needs and excused himself to the restroom.

Here we go.

"Jirou, I need to tell you something, but can we talk somewhere more private?" I asked, and she agreed almost immediately, being the compassionate person she is.

But then she stopped herself and whispered, "We should tell Kami.. he'll be worried."

"Don't worry, it'll only be a quick one."

She then shrugged and proceeded to stand up, and we both proceeded to the café garden.

As we both sat down on the bench, she turned to me and asked,

"So what is it? is everything ok?"

"Yes Jirou, I'm more than ok honestly, I have been waiting for this day for ages." I paused then looked at her beautiful eyes that were clearly indicating she was confused as hell. 

I breathed and finally said the words I have always longed to say. 

"Jirou I like you so much, you are a funniest, talented and smartest girl I have ever met and I really want you to go out with me" 

When I looked at her eyes again, I saw her answer.

 My heart shattered in that moment.

"Sero..." she started saying but I cut her off.

"No no no, I don't wanna hear it. I am an idiot" I put my hands on my face hiding from the embarrassment.

"Sero I'm sorry, I just only really see you as a friend and I..."

"You like Kaminari don't you" 

I look up to see her face which only made it worse.

It was clear as day. 

I stood up to leave, handing her money and shaking her off as she tried to stop me.

I dash out of the café, distraught, trying to escape as far as possible.

This was not how I expected it to go, but I should have known better.

Kaminari, the flirty woman magnet, would of course attract Jirou as well, not someone like me, who is the most basic person to exist.

I entered a park and collapsed on the ground. The tears began to form, and I let it all out, and then, as if things couldn't get much worse, Mina walked right past me.

"Sero??? WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU? ARE YOU OK?"

Mina's concerned voice echoed in my head.

"Yes, Mina." "I'm fine, okay, I just got rejected, I'm not dying," I said, wiping my eyes.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, Sero," Mina responded, but not as sympathetically as she should have sounded.

"You knew Jirou liked Kaminari, didn't you?" I questioned, turning my head to gaze at her.

"Wait, did she really say that?" OMG I always suspected she did but she kept saying she didn't and he was like a brother to her and whatnot but I always suspected she was trying to hide the truth and I heard you liked her and thought maybe she might like you back but anyways I didn't want to be mean and say something so..."

"All right, Mina, I don't need any more of this today," I remarked, and she quickly apologized.

"You know, Sero, I have something to tell you as well might as well do it now" Mina said as she sat down.

"What's that?"

"I actually like you, a lot... for ages..."

She continued before I could say anything.

"and I KNOW you just liked Jirou and got rejected and stuff, so you're probably not over her yet, but I just wanted to tell you and when you're ready, can you give us a chance?"

I paused for a few seconds before responding, "you know what, nothing else to lose, right?" It may take some time, but I promise I will." 

She sprung up like lightning and drew me into an embrace.

"Thank you, Sero, thank you"

I returned her hug and somehow I felt like I will be fine. 

(a/n: helloo readers! its been a while but I finally did it. Just before I say anything else, thank you so so sosososos much for all the support and reads so far, I would have been nowhere without you guys 💗(not kidding like you know how easy it is for me to loose motivation... 💀)

anyways tbh quite frankly I rushed a lot of the plot that I was thinking of doing in this chapter however I think it was the right thing to do, so if you thought it was a bit fast pacing soz xxx but I didn't really know what to do 😭

I also had SO MUCH FUN doing it in a POV of a different character for once and I knew to not make you guys really hate on Sero was to see his view on everything, i hope you enjoyed anyways and ill be back soon )