4. | Looks That Kill

Chapter 4

When I called Zayn last night, I didn't expect to be flying into a new city the very next day. All I told him was that I was considering his offer of joining Crimson Kills and so he didn't hesitate to book Vi and me a flight and hotel room just for a meeting in Los Angeles.

New York City and Los Angeles. There were perceptible differences between the two cities and it was hard to see which place I had fit into the most.

Beaches, sun, and palm trees mimicked Vivianne as she stuck her head out of the window. She was cool like the salt air and her hair perfectly matched the sunset. Already she was fitting in.

"God, I can't wait to explore," she said as she adjusted herself back into the car. "We have to visit the beach or get matching tattoos. There's just so much to do!"

I turned my head to look out the window again. Our driver was exiting the highway. I could feel my palms itch the closer we got to our destination.

I had a moment of weakness before getting onto the flight. I almost called Zayn again to tell him never mind when guilt weighed in after midnight. When I remembered why I gave up drumming, I wanted to bury myself in the grounds of Miami so I had no choice but to die there.

Vi would have never forgiven me if I didn't jump on this chance, however. It seemed obvious last night.

We pulled in front of a uniquely shaped skyscraper—a famous record company, the one I'd see in movies. I stepped onto the curb with my dirty white sneakers and I adjusted my loose-fitted jeans. My handbag hung off my left shoulder and my necklace cascaded past my baby blue tube top. My girlfriend then joined my side, bringing her green sunglasses down to protect her eyes from the glare the building gave off.

"Holy shit. Ready?" she then asked as she took my hand.

I nodded and she dragged me into the building before I even knew what I was ready for.

When I told the receptionist my name, it was as if they rolled a red carpet out in front of me. We were led the way by an intern who dropped everything to take me to Zayn himself. We were offered refreshments and the choices were unlimited, but I declined. Vi on the other hand took advantage to ask for an iced latte.

We took an elevator to the very top floor.

"Benny, Zayn will be right through this door. Feel free to walk in. He's expecting you," said the intern as he guided the way. "And Vivianne, you could follow me."

I stood in place in front of tall double doors. I didn't want Vivianne to leave, but she gladly followed the intern to wherever they were going. After a good minute to myself, I reached for the black matte handle and pulled.

"Yeah... Listen, I got to go," said Zayn, but he was on the phone behind a glass desk and in front of a glass window. When he hung up his office phone, he stood up.

I still couldn't fathom how he was a manager when he damn well could pass as a band member. He wore a t-shirt that had fit loose on his body, but the tattoos on his neck and both his arms were visible. He even had piercings in his ears and one on his nose. I admired how cool he looked.

"Benny, Benny, Benny," he said my name with such relief. He walked around his desk to meet me in the middle of his office. "Didn't I tell you I had a feeling we were going to meet again?"

I shrugged. "Something along those lines, yeah."

"I reckon Harry was able to convince you to join Crimson Kills." Zayn crossed his arms over his chest as he sat at the edge of his desk.

"No, actually... My girlfriend did," I said and I didn't move. "But did you send him to convince me?"

"I didn't," he admitted. "We had drummers lined up to replace Mason, but my lead singer suggested we find you. I couldn't agree more when he said that you are what Crimson Kills needs."