Chapter 1

Later that same evening, the Bellas met at an empty pool.

"Alright, let's remix this business. Aubrey, would you pick a song for us, please?" Beca asked.

"Bruno Mars - Just the Way You Are," Aubrey suggested.

"Okay. Chloe, are you okay to take the lead?" Beca asked.

"Yeah," Chloe said as Beca led the Bellas into a mashup of "Just the Way You Are" and "Just a Dream."

Afterward, "Hands in," Aubrey said as the Bellas followed suit.

"ONE... TWO... Ahhhh!" The Bellas sang in perfect harmony as one of them emitted a low bass note..

"What was that?" Amy asked.

"I don't know. I've never made that sound before. But if anything, it must've been a result of my nodes being removed," Chloe said

"You got your nodes removed?" Aubrey asked.

"Yeah. Over Spring Break," Chloe said.

"Chloe, I am so proud of you," Aubrey said.

"Thanks. Though, the doctor said I can't sing above a G# maybe ever. As if that weren't enough, he also recommended that I only sing low notes after I recover from the surgery," Chloe said, feeling disappointed.

"Well, think of it this way: with your messed up vocal cords, you could easily hit the bass notes," CR pointed out.

"Do you know what this means?" Aubrey asked as Lily raised her hand. "Yes, Lily?"

"I think I have something that can help us a bit," Lily said in a normal volume.

"And that is?" Chloe asked, and Lily beatboxed.

"That is amazing, Lily. If you can beatbox like that, it'll definitely help us go a long way," Beca said, showing approval.

"Agreed," Chloe said.

"You know...hearing about Chloe's nodes being removed, and Lily's beatboxing ability gave me an idea. I noticed we haven't taken a lot of time to get to know each other. So how about we tell each other something that we don't already know," Beca suggested.

"In that case, I'll go first," CR volunteered.

"I think I know where this is going," Amy thought.

"Well...for the last two years, I've had a serious gambling problem," CR confessed, which the others were surprised by. "It started when I broke up with my girlfriend."

"Whoop, there it is," Amy chimed in.

"I still love you," Denise mouthed silently to CR.

"Anyone else?" Beca asked, waiting a few seconds for someone else to chime in.

"Well, as for me, I'm pretty much an open book. But if there's one thing none of you know, it's that my real first name is Patricia," Amy confessed.

"Okay...um, I've never been one of those girls who had a lot of friends who were girls. And I do now, and it's really cool. So that's me. Does anyone else have anything to share?" Beca asked, and no one responded. "Alright, well, we've got a lot to do in just three weeks, so let's call it a night," she said as everyone except her and Aubrey left.

After everyone else left, Aubrey spoke up. "Hey...I know you and I didn't exactly start off on the right foot when we met."

"I know we've had our differences, but just know that through it all, my heart was in the right place," Beca said.

"I know. And next time you want me to listen to your mixes, you don't have to handcuff me to a chair again," Aubrey assured her.

"I know. I just knew at the time you wouldn't voluntarily listen to them. And yes, I will admit, handcuffing you and taping your mouth shut was me going rather overboard on the matter," Beca explained.

"Well, everything's all water under the bridge now," Aubrey said.

"Just one thing, though: let's never speak of that day again. Especially not in front of the other Bellas," Beca suggested.

"Deal!" Aubrey said.

"Alright, well, I should have our mix ready within a few days. But for now, I'm going to call it a night. Later," Beca said as the two left.

The next day, Beca went over to Jesse's dorm room and knocked on the door.

"Hey, Beca," Jesse said.

"Hey, I hope I didn't catch you at a bad time, but I was hoping I could borrow your copy of 'The Breakfast Club,'" Beca said.

"So, you finally decided to take that movie-cation I told you about?" Jesse asked.

"Definitely!" Beca said.

"Come on in," Jesse said as she did so.

The two sat down on Jesse's bed as he booted up his laptop before putting his DVD of "The Breakfast Club" in.

As Don't You (Forget About Me) was playing in the movie, "Best ending to any movie ever. This song launched Simple Minds in 1985. Could've been a Billy Idol song, but he turned it down," Jesse explained.

While the two continued to watch, Beca paused the movie about halfway through the credits.

"Wow, I guess you were right. Endings can be the best part of the movie," She admitted.

"See what I mean?" Jesse asked.

"Yeah. Hearing that song just gave me some inspiration," Beca started.

"Really?" Jesse asked.

"Yep. If you'll excuse me, I've got a new mix to make. Later," Beca said as she left the dorm room.