i. | Quinceañera |

QUINCEAÑERAmaya and the three  |  zatz romancechapter one  -  quinceañera i

QUINCEAÑERA
maya and the three  |  zatz romance
chapter one  -  quinceañera i.
word count: 2.8k

THE CHILDREN OF TECA point and stare in awe as the Teca Eagle circled above, graceful with every thrust through the air with its mighty wings

THE CHILDREN OF TECA point and stare in awe as the Teca Eagle circled above, graceful with every thrust through the air with its mighty wings. Its silhouette shadowed the market of slowly gathering crowds as the morning sun rolled in over the horizon.

The mighty Eagle of Teca swerved into the temple grounds, sharp claws landing on a prickly cactus, where a snake resided and hissed in retaliation for its new arrival. The large bird let out a firm squawk as its sharp talons hooked onto the snake.

Suddenly, three figures swiftly ran past, making the Eagle let go of the snake in a moment of shock, and it slithered away quickly, softly hissing as it went. The three bodies wore matching jaguar-print armour, all the same height and speed and they rush, but sneakily, their way up the temple stone steps and into the structure itself. They hid among the many statues and pillars on their way so as to not alert the maids of their presence.

"What are you doing?"

The three halted in the doorway. They looked over their left shoulder's in unison to see a girl there, in traditional Teca clothing. A sword was tied by leather to her hip as she leaned her weight onto one leg, her hands on the makeshift leather belt.

"We bring gifts!" One started, throwing his hands in the air in a mock celebration, pulling out a beautiful singular earring that danced between his index finger and thumb.

"For our dear sister!" The middle one seconded the first's claim by pulling a large, shiny pearl from the inside of his armour.

"On her quinceañera!" The last one finished with a proud grin as he too pulled 
his own souvenir from his inside armour pocket. A small blue bird with scruffy feathers lay dazed on the palm of his hand.

To think of it, they all wore prideful grins, hoping for praise for their braveness. All they got was a snicker. In perfect synchronicity, their faces dropped, as did their excessive arm gestures.