Past to the future

Laura Thompson is a dedicated A+ student. Her life had its dark side two years ago. Her father, Randy Thompson was a city cop. He transferred from city cop of Pittsburgh to county sheriff of Nevada to ensure the safety of his daughter.

Laura sat in the passenger seat as her father drove. The traumatic events that occurred years ago had destroyed her family life too. Her mother divorced her father, and ran off with another man. It broke her father in ways she couldn't understand. However, her mind was always in circles and constant fear. Conner Grady, was the man that destroyed her life.

Randy held his daughter's hand as she smiled at him. They've never been close, but since that night. The daddy-daughter relationship bond grew.

He sighs, "I know moving to another state is hard, but I promise; he'll never find you". Randy said, truthfully without hinting his own fears as he spoke.

"Dad, I understand. Please don't hide anything from me, when you find out how he escaped". She responded. The fear in her voice wasn't hard to miss, especially from an officer that has experiences with criminals.

He nodded. "Of course, I'll keep you safe as long as you listen to me". He said, honestly. He moved his hand back to the steering wheel.

Laura looked out at the scenery as the car moved with the traffic. She never thought that Conner Grady would get out, but strangely enough; he did. Her body is scarred, her mind fucked up and her friends dead. She leans against the side of the window as it vibrates her head. It's a distracting method to have her focus on something else. She tries not to think about the screams of her two best friends that died horribly or her ex-boyfriend who died protecting her.

2 years ago. (Flashback)

Laura's smile was contagious when she saw her friends and boyfriend. Her friends, Chloe and Clare were the main reason why she loved school. The popular group, and her boyfriend Troy was the football quarterback. They've been dating for a year, and nothing was going to get between them.

Not even Troy's ex-girlfriend Brooke could test the waters. When Laura was dropped off by her overbearing father, Randy. He's a cop in Pittsburgh. He was the best at his job, while others were dirty cops. As for Laura, she waved bye to her mother. She walked into school as her boyfriend waited. He kissed her lips as he held her close. She didn't realize the shadow of a stranger, who was watching from the bushes.

Conner Grady, a violent man, stood close to the bushes so that he couldn't be recognized. Eyeing the young beauty that he desperately wanted since the police station six weeks ago. He watched as the couple walked into the building. He wanted everyone dead that dared touch her. He remembered the beautiful smile with the long dark chocolate hair. Her scent smells of vanilla and blossom. A scent he familiarized himself with. A sinister grin widened as his eyes wandered over her body. He stayed until she wasn't in view anymore. He has a lot to do.

Laura walked to class with Troy hand in hand; She's happy with her life. Troy guides Laura to the lockers while laughing, unfortunately their laughter is cut short by his ex-girlfriend Brooke. She wore a slutty outfit that showed off her boobs, ass and legs. However, he wasn't the cheating kind. He loved Laura more than he ever loved Brooke.

So, when she was tempted to keep his gaze, he turned away from it. Brooke stomps her feet in annoyance. She wanted to be the popular chick to date Troy Armstrong, not some nobody who took her place. She picked this outfit for a reason, it was Troy's favorite. When he didn't look twice, she felt humiliated. So, she deliberately ran into Laura. Brooke smirked when Laura's head hit the locker. 

"Ah, sorry loser!" Brooke said with a smile.

"What the hell is your problem?". Troy snared.

Brooke was dumbfounded by his protective behavior. Clare and Chloe stood in front of Laura. The twins were very protective of their best friend. Troy checked Laura's head, where a bruise was forming. Brooke just assumed that Laura was a poor nobody, when her mother was Julie Thompson. A personal real estate agent. The best in Pittsburgh, and she's a hard woman to please at the best of times.

"Why are you guys, like protecting her, like she's a nobody!". Brooke said, bluntly.

Brooke's a poshy girl, who had a limit on the vocabulary spectrum. The word 'Like' was the popular trend that's going on in the school right now. Troy was worried about Laura as he wrapped his arm around her protectively, and took her to sickbay. His mother is the on-site doctor. As for Brooke, her acts didn't go unnoticed by the principal. 

"Miss Miller. My office, now!". Principal Vincent orders. 

"But-but I didn't do anything wrong". She responds, sobbing.

The principal crossed his arms in front of him. He wasn't a pushover either. Standing at a whopping 6'8 and built like a linebacker. A former blocker in his youth. Now, a principal. Brooke stomps her way to his office. 

Meanwhile, Troy and Laura waited for his mother. He kissed her hands while he knelt in front of her. When Mrs Armstrong entered the sickbay, she eyed Laura's forehead. She ushered her son to move aside, so she could make sure Laura didn't have a concussion.

End Flashback.

Laura was jolted from her sleep. She panicked as her father hit the brakes. Some stupid moron cut them off at the intersection. A blue station wagon was speeding through. Laura grips the handle on the door. It's her anxiety that has now been triggered.

"Watch where you're going, you bloody idiots!". Randy yelled.

When Randy calmed down, he forgot that Laura now suffers with bad anxiety. He pulled over to the side of the road and hugged his daughter. She sobs in his arms. She refused to be weak, but how to become stronger than before? Laura had suffered a mental breakdown when she lost the three people she loved most in this world, had her shattered and crumbling to her knees.

Randy sighs "I'm sorry baby girl" he whispers, "I'm sorry".

Laura wipes her face. Her father was gentle and caring as he always was. He wiped her soaked cheeks with a tissue, and watched as she cleaned up her face a bit more. Her face was wet, and her eyes red. Randy felt hurt again. He knew the psychological effects that Conner Grady created on his daughter's mental health.

She sniffles. "I'm sorry, Dad". She sighs, "I-I don't think I'm ready!". She responded. She's mentally drained and frightened.

Randy held her pretty rounded face. He was shocked by her honesty. It's been two years since the incident occurred. Watching each of her friends die was the hardest thing she went through. Half the school was burnt down, and the chaos from the slaughtered kids had turned horrific. All the parents blamed Laura for their children's deaths. Randy held his crying daughter that night as she refused to let go of her friends.

It destroyed the foundations of friendships as everyone stayed clear of Laura. They whispered in the halls as she walked them. Her test scores were lower than her original A+ title. She no longer cared. Her night terrors were even worse. She would scream the house down in her sleep. It caused a strain on her parents' relationship. Turns out, Julie Thompson was cheating on her husband. When the opportunity arises; she leaves her daughter and husband. It was a problem she didn't care about.

"Are you okay?". He asked, "Laura, honey, you can do this". He added.

Trying to help his daughter out was definitely difficult. She nodded, and refused to say anything else. The car was quiet as Laura was absent minded again. What will become of her new life in Nevada? She often wonders.