10 Hours Before

I slipped off my yellow flip flops when I walked through the front door. The fraying, grey tape on one shoe, stuck to the inside of my big toe ever so slightly, before detaching and landing on the dirty, maroon towel over the wood floor. My now heavy bag slipped off each shoulder, before plummeting onto the towel next to my worn out shoes. No one was home yet, and I expected Mark (my dad) to arrive home late anyways.

The soles of my feet were charcoal black, but I skated across the kitchen floor without having a care in the world what my mom might bellow, when she discovers the tracks I made on her floors. My tracks made their way to the back door, and soon ended when I put on a pair of brown sandals, which were much more incapable of showing the dirt around the edges.

A short couple minutes beyond our green, cut grass, was a forest preserve. It had lofty, jagged, pine trees, and birds that chirped with tone. A couple hundred feet into the preserce, Mark had built a swing, as a surprise gift for Ben, a year or two ago. Ben never came out her. He never enjoyed the wood swing Mark made him.

The swing was made up of a thick piece of splintering wood, drilled with two big hole at he ends of each side. A scratchy rope slithered through the holes and tied into thick knots. The other ends of the rope swung high around the thickest branch of the oak tree, and tied into big sturdy knots.

I however always seemed to have wandered off out here. I come out her almost every day after school to ponder just about anything. My imagination gets carried into depths, that I would never dare share with anyone. But I would be lying if I said that I didn't escape to this place for a bigger reason.

I vanish to escape the chilling touch of Mark's dried hands. The glances he gives me are the ones that men give their wives, not their seventeen year old daughters. I've felt uneasy around Mark ever since the day he told me it was okay. That lying bastard knew sure as hell that what he did was not 'okay', yet he must not have known that I would never forget it.