Chapter 2

"Fear of self is the greatest of all terrors, the deepest of all dread, the commonest of all mistakes. From it grows failure. Because of it, life is a mockery. Out of it comes despair."

— David Seasbury

* * * *   * * * *

"Psst- hey" Alexis stretches, the events of last night gone from her dream-filled mind. "hey - are you awake?" A sweet tinkling voice fills her ears snapping her back to reality. She sits up and grabs her brother searching for the source of the voice. Alex jolts awake, having slept on the edge all night, ready to protect his sister. Alexis hushes her brother motioning for him to listen. "I can see you awake, it's rude not to answer someone when they're talking to you." 

Alex rubs the sleep from his eyes before responding to the unknown voice. "It's kind of hard to answer something you can't see.." He takes his sister's hand and leads her from the shelter, fear clear in her green eyes. Shielding her behind him he scans the trees for the voice. "Show yourself."

"How do I know I can trust you" The tinkling voice replies seeming from the air in front of their faces. 

"Look we have no idea where we are, t-there was a dragon? I don't even know if that's what it was but it looked like a dragon.." Alexis chimes in the fear making her stumble over her words. "Can you help us? we just want to go home."

"Of course, i'll help you get home!" The voice exclaims as the air begins to ripple and a young golden-haired girl in a white gown appears. "So where do you live?" her bright blue eyes shone with curiosity. 

"Well, we're not from here. Im not sure what you would call it but we call it earth." Alex goes to explain the odd weather event that brought them here.

"This is Earth?" the girl looks confused by her own words as if questioning if that's indeed where they are.

"It can't be we don't have giant trees or planets in our sky." Alexis chimes in motioning towards the low-hanging celestial bodies.

The girl's brow furrows in confusion. "Maybe I can take you to someone that understands what you're saying." She turns and jumps onto the tunnel they were sleeping in. A set of shiny blue wings shimmer into existence on her back. Her feet lifting from the ground she turns back to them. "Well? Are you coming?" 

"We can't fly" the twins chime at the same time.  Looking at each other in surprise that they had to even say the words.

"Oh, so you're mages? I know exactly where to take you but I suppose we'll have to take the long way."  She shrugs before leading them off. Neither of them chimed in to correct her knowing it would only arise more questions.

* * * *   * * * *

After hours of hiking, they finally made it to a small village. To the twins, the village resembled that of early settlements they learned about in their history classes. As they walked through the cobblestone pathways of the village they noticed everyone staring at them. After a quick realization, Alex quietly points out to his sister that every one of the villagers was wearing old-timey clothing. As they approach a large grand stone building that could easily pass as a castle the girl turns to them "Well this is farewell for now."

"Goodby Annabella it was very nice meeting you," Alexis says sadly wrapping the girl in a tight hug. "I still can't believe you're actually 465 years old"